Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching adults    

Teaching adults

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Teaching adults

Hello friends,
So I am on my cruise,  teaching adults Italian. I only have to do an hour a day and my resources are wonderful, if I say so myself!  - but, there are fifty or so students, no desks, just chairs and I am standing at the front, with a microphone attached as the background noise, including air conditioning is so loud. They are all over fifty, most much older, so Splat! etc is not suitable. They seem reluctant to do role plays. I �ve done odd one out, match up etc, but just on powerpoint.... Well, any ideas to liven this up? 

Lynne  

21 Oct 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Maybe you can write words on cards, put them in a bag and make them pick out one of them. These words would be from several sentences you would have thought before, cut these words and put them in the bag. Ask your students to try to do some sentences with these words after a warm up on a theme (for example the verbs "essere" (be) and "avere (have) at the present). Simple sentences like "Sono francese e ho sessant �anni" (I am French and 60". Then little by little you can complexify the exercise doing negative and interrogative sentences with your affirmative ones. You would add some more adjectives or turn usual "c �è" (there is) into "ci sono" (there are) : "c �è un uomo anziano" (there is an old man) => "ci sono uomini anziani" (there are old men). You can write words at the singular and make them turn them into plural and little by little introduce irregular words and invariable ones.

May this be possible for you ?

Don �t give up ! I am sure you will do something interesting with such a modest start !

Hugs.

Maryse.

21 Oct 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Lynne,

Here is a suggestion.

The night before the Lesson, write a list of 26 English nouns, beginning at �A� and ending at �Z�. Write also the appropriate Italian translations, (so YOU know the translations!)

Hand out Worksheets, drawn something like this, from �A� to �Z�.

English word. Italian translation. English sentence Italian translation.

A Alphabet... Alfabeto�.. ���..I know the alphabet ����..Conosco l�alfabeto. ���.

B ������.. ������.. ������������������������������������

C ������.. ������.. ������������������������������������

D ������.. ������.. ������������������������������������

Z ������.. ������.. �����������������������������..�������

Explain the Game.

Students work solo, or as couples, or as tables, or groups � you decide the Rules!

Letter �A� is done for them, as an example.

You call out the first English word, (or use PowerPoint), �Alphabet�.

They write the English word that you give them, (for the letter �A�, it is �Alphabet�).

Then, they write the same word, BUT in Italian.

Then, they write a simple sentence in English, using the English word.

Then, they write the same sentence, BUT in Italian, using the Italian word.

You move on to letter �B�, where you call out, for example, �Baby�.

Students repeat the process: English word; Italian translation; English sentence using �Baby�; Italian translation of the sentence.

You move on to letter, �C�, and so on to letter �Z�.

If students don�t know your word, quickly pass on to the next word.

Using the microphone, �marking the papers� will provide lots of opportunities for Q and A and fun and laughter.

Everyone is practising Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing in Italian.

But they are using SIMPLE VOCABULARY, which THEY choose.

You can use the same game for categories: Colours, Numbers, Months, Days, Transport, etc.

Good Luck!

Les Douglas

21 Oct 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Since you are on a cruise, everyone has packed a suitcase. You could play the memory game with props of clothing. 1st player: "I went on a trip and brought a blouse". 2nd player: I went on a trip and brought a blouse and pants." Etc. Each player recites the list of items brought and .must add an additional item. Bingo with targeted vocabulary such as clothing? They can describe the clothes that a classmate is wearing. Maybe pretend they are in a fashion show when describing. They can pretend they are shopping for clothes, using the clothes from the suitcase memory game. You are the store owner and they are customers. Then switch and a classmate is the store owner.

21 Oct 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Since you can project pkwerpoints, what about playing jeopardy?

21 Oct 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Have you already talked about your families? What about pictionary? They draw and guess targeted vocabulary which you have put in a hat on cards.

21 Oct 2018     

maryse pey�
France

2 other ideas :

The association of ideas. On a theme : FOOD (for example), you give the 1st word "PESCE", then a student can say "CARNE" and so on. Then you can say : "Abbiamo mangiato pesce oggi ?" "Si � ! Abbiamo anche mangiato un gelato".
Or you can do that only by association : "PESCE" and the answer can be "MARE" or "GATTO" then "LATTE" and "FORMAGGIO"...

Or you can play TRUE OR FALSE (VERO O FALSO) : "oggi abbiamo mangiato pesce. Vero o falso ?" "Questa donna si chiama Renata. Vero o falso ?"

Monday hugs.

Marisa.

22 Oct 2018     

Cariboo
France

Dear Cunliffe

Hope you do not get much stress and enjoy this time abroad.

Something which works great with adults is the game "guess who".

Write some famous name on papers then one has to pick out one of the name  the other have to guess who are they.

They have to deal with nationalities, jobs, general knowledge and grammar. (Maybe the winner could get a cocktail on the deck next to the swimming pool...Just dreaming there ...)
I bet with all the Italian painters they will have hours of fun.

Have a great day.

22 Oct 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you again, friends. There is plenty here for me to be working with. And thanks to Dale for sending me his ready-made games. 

22 Oct 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Lynne,

A Game, which can easily be changed and adapted.

Choose 10 elementary Italian words of a particular Category … Greetings, or Colours, Numbers, Male/Female First Names, Food, Transport, etc.

Choose a category … Greetings, for example.

On 10 sheets of A4, marked 1 to 10, write the 10 Greetings, in English on one side, Italian the other. (Hello, good morning, goodbye … Ciao, buongiorno, arrivederci, etc.)

Choose 10 Volunteers who stand at the front, 1 to 10, holding the English Greetings cards facing the class.

Pre-Teach all 10 Greetings in turn, going along the line, involving the 10 Volunteers.

To the class: “Now, please, Students, REMEMBER these 10 Greetings, in order, 1 to 10, in English AND in Italian.”

The 10 Volunteers now remain silent, but turn the A4 cards, showing the English Greeting to all the Students.

Going around the class, the Teacher asks each Student to read the English cards, and then give the correct translation, in Italian.

The Student makes a mistake … move on to next Student.

The Student is successful … Applause!

This Game is casual enough to allow for lots of fun.

I hope it helps you.

Les Douglas.

23 Oct 2018     

Engteachar
Argentina

Miming sentences or words works well, too. There �s always a student who loves acting. Invent funny sentences.

23 Oct 2018     

1    2    Next >