Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Adjectives - comparative and superlative    

Adjectives - comparative and superlative

almaz
United Kingdom

Ascincoquinas is spot on. Dictionaries (and lexicographers) don�t make words up or impose new grammatical categories: they reflect usage, not personal preference. Oh, and now is as good a time as any to remind people that �informal� is not the same as �incorrect�. 

�Fun� has worked perfectly well as a noun since the 17th century and as an attributive and predicative adjective since the 19th (it�s also a verb, but that�s another story). There�s no earthly reason � other than personal taste � it should not have an inflected comparative and superlative form. 

And just for fun, here�s a screenshot of the relevant entry � with citations � in the mighty Oxford English Dictionary (note British and American usage):

29 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

Almaz, THANKS SO S SO MUCH! I will keep this like gold!!!!!!
Izaskun 

29 Oct 2018     

karagozian
France

Yes, thanks a million !

29 Oct 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Just as a footnote, when explaining to my Spanish students the difference between funny and fun (the adjective), I use the old "funny-ha-ha" routine. I even roll around laughing sometimes when explaining funny so that they know it is connected in some way to laughter. Whereas with fun, I tell them it �s more to do with enjoyment and use chess players as an example. I tell them that chess players, or boxers, or people fishing, all think that their pastime is fun, even though they are not laughing. However, somebody who is watching a funny film should be laughing. If not, then the film is clearly not funny to that person. As for funny meaning peculiar or odd, perhaps the picture below might confuse the bejesus out of them, but I suspect it �s a fun way to introduce it.

29 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

That �s why I love so well this web. This is amazing!!!! You all are so!
Izas 

29 Oct 2018     

< Previous   1    2