Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help!    

I need your help!

myemma
Ukraine

I need your help!

Dear friends, in what time -tense  shall I write?

I-----------( to learn)  some words in Japanese    by time next day.

Thank you so much! 

29 Oct 2018      

redcamarocruiser
United States

I have to learn...by 9 A.M. tomorrow. I must learn... I need to learn... If you are optimistic: I can learn... I shall learn...(BrE) I will learn...(AmE) I should learn... I should be able to learn... I could learn...

29 Oct 2018     

ninon100
Russian Federation

I �ll have learnt some words in Japanese BY THIS time next day / tomorrow.
A completed action by a moment in the future - the Future Perfect Tense. 

29 Oct 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Can we use this sentence in Future Perfect Continuous? �I shall have been learning new words by this time tomorrow� sounds grammatically possible, but I cannot think of a reasonable context for using such a complicated construction.   It sounds like something that ties the learning to another action is missing. 

Example:

Mom: You don�t have time to go over both vocabulary lists. I suggest you concentrate on the new list.

Student: If I�m able to study the old vocabulary list all night long, and move on to the new list, I shall have been learning the new words by this time tomorrow.

I would not recommend using Future Perfect Continuous unless you can use it in a situation that requires it in order to make the sentence make sense. I couldn�t think of one, but maybe someone else can.

Edit:
Our posts crossed, Ninon.  I like your succinct answer, which clears up my feeling that something was missing. Thanks!

30 Oct 2018     

ninon100
Russian Federation

FPC usually requires an indication of a period of time over which it happens, or at least it should be implied.

I �ll have been learning new words for a week by this time tomorrow. 

30 Oct 2018