Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me    

Please help me

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Please help me

Hi everyone! Please help me to choose the correct answer to fill in the blank in the following sentence: ___ you have completed the form, most applications will also ask you to include a covering letter. 
A. Because      B. After      C. Before    D. In case 
I have found a sentence in a book:  Unless it specifically asks you to handwrite it, you would word process it. 
Is it correct to use the modal verb "would". if it is correct, what is the usage of would in this sentence?
Thank you in advance.
Qui 

6 Nov 2018      

Smileymiles
China

Hello,

It �s B. After you have completed the form, most applications will also ask you to include a covering letter. I would use � can �.

7 Nov 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear Smileymiles, thank you so much.
Qui 

7 Nov 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/the-many-uses-of-would-in-everyday-speech/4455867.html The link above explains how the modal �would� is used. The part about unreal conditionals is the best fit for your sentence. �Unless� introduces the if-clause. It can be rewritten as �If you are not asked to hand write it, you would word process it. I am not a grammar expert, so if someone has a better explanation, would they please share?

7 Nov 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "After" is the word you need in the first one.

I agree that "can" can be used, although I don �t think it is strong enough in this sentence. I think "would" is correct, but it doesn �t sound very natural, so "should" is probably the best choice.

Bruce 

7 Nov 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear all my colleagues, thank you very much for your willingness to hep me whenever I need your help. Qui

7 Nov 2018     

Engteachar
Argentina

Isn �t "in case" a synonym of "should" in this example?

12 Nov 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Engteacher, "Should" is an old-fashioned and formal way of saying "In case" or "If", but the second clause of the sentence doesn �t match that interpretation.

Bruce 

12 Nov 2018     

Engteachar
Argentina

Thank you yanogator!! So "should" wouldn �t be possible either?

13 Nov 2018