Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > correct preposition    

correct preposition

Pedro14
Spain

correct preposition

Hi there,

I �ve always taught my students that the correct preposition to use after the adjective "bored" was "with". However, in the book "optimise B2" the preposition "of" is also given as a correct answer. All of my printed dictionaries such as "collocations dictionary" by oxford give "with" as the correct preposition. However, as English and all languages are constantly evolving, I wonder if you would give "of" as correct in an exam.  Another question I have and which I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a hand with is about how can I explain my students when to use the structure "what .... like". One of my students wrote the following sentence: " I wonder how life would be in ten years � time." Since I don �t know to what extent is that sentence literal to Spanish I told my student to say "I wonder what life would be like in ten years � time" instead. Is my student �s sentence correct? If so, is there any difference between his sentence and mine? Thanks a bunch for your time and help. Have a nice day all! 

15 Nov 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pedro,
Many people do say �bored of � these days - mostly the young! I personally don �t like it, but I can �t say it �s not correct. I would ask my students to use �bored with � in a piece of formal writing, but if textbooks are starting to accept it, maybe we should too. 
As for your student �s question, it �s fine if followed up by an if clause, �I wonder how life would be in ten years � time, if we were hit by a giant asteroid. �  Otherwise it should be simple future, �I wonder how life will be in ten years � time. � It �s not the most usual way to express it, and like you, I prefer, �I wonder what life will be like in ten years � time. � Or �I wonder what life would be like in ten years � time if this or that happened. � 

15 Nov 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Hi,
A few months ago I uploaded a WS with a very simple rule, surely with many exceptions:
WITH comes after the "happy" family of adjectives: delighted with, satisfied with, etc.
OF comes after adjectives that deal with a physical, obvious appearance of the people referred, ie proud of, suspicious of, etc.
Perhaps BORED would fall in both categories?
Hope that helps, 

15 Nov 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pedro 14,

I give you the following information.

�A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language �, (2010), By Professors Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech, Svartvik, and Crystal, 16.69, page 1222, gives a list of Participial Adjectives, (Adjectives formed from the Participle), which are followed by the Preposition �WITH �.

Annoyed; bored; concerned; delighted; depressed; disappointed; disgusted; dismayed; distressed; drunk; enchanted; obsessed; occupied; overcome; pleased; satisfied; taken.

For example:

"I am annoyed with his attitude!"
The student was bored with the one-hour Lesson.

No other preposition is mentioned in this section of �Comprehensive Grammar�.

Oxford Collocations Dictionary, 2016, page 79, describes the Adjective, �bored�, and gives appropriate word combinations ... Verbs, Adverbs, Prepositions, Phrases.

PREPOSITIONS: �At�- Her husband was bored at the prospect of going shopping. �By� - He seemed slightly bored by the whole process. �With� - He was bored with their conversation.

With regard to your second question, Pedro14, in my opinion, Lynne Cunliffe has given you an excellent answer.

Les Douglas 

16 Nov 2018     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks to all for your help. Have a nice Sunday!

18 Nov 2018