Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Relative pronouns    

Relative pronouns

fadifai
Algeria

Relative pronouns

Hello everyone !

What does the word "that" in the sentence refer to, please?

Instagram is an online photo-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take
pictures, apply digital filters to it.

6 Dec 2018      

redcamarocruiser
United States

�That� refers to �service� .

Edit:

Instagram is an online photo-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take
pictures, apply digital filters to it.

It  may be clearer if simplified:

Instagram is a service that enables its users to take pictures...

As Bruce has pointed out below:

"Relative clauses are clauses starting with the relative pronouns who*, that, which, whose, where, when. They are most often used to define or identify the noun that precedes them."

6 Dec 2018     

fadifai
Algeria

Thank you very kindly  redcamarocruiser

6 Dec 2018     

maryse pey�
France

I agree with redwamacruiser for "service".

6 Dec 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Instagram. Or both instagram and service , because they are one and the same here. 

6 Dec 2018     

yanogator
United States

Although Lynne is right that Instagram and service are equated here (by the word "is"), "that" refers to "service", mainly because it is closer to it.

Bruce 

6 Dec 2018     

fadifai
Algeria

Thank you all dear colleagues for your kind consideration. My own answer was �service � but my students � answers pushed me to think a bit about the situation. Thanks again.

6 Dec 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

One of the examples on that link is  �A notebook is a computer which can be carried around.� I think that �which � refers to the notebook, not the computer. Not all computers can be carried around, but a notebook can. 
�Titanic � is a love story that most people have seen. �That � refers to �Titanic�.  I am still with your students, fadifai! 

7 Dec 2018     

yanogator
United States

I still think you �re wrong, Lynne. Not all computers can be carried around, but a computer that can be carried around is called a notebook. By changing the word order, it is clear that "that" refers to computer, not notebook. The same can be done with the original sentence:

A service that enables its users to take pictures is Instagram.

Bruce 

7 Dec 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi all. Mmm, having studied the rule, yes, I can see that. It �s a bit counter-intuitive, though... 

Lynne  

7 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Yes, it is counter-intuitive.

7 Dec 2018     

1    2    Next >