Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > travelling by horse/on horse    

travelling by horse/on horse

onlyonlyone
Algeria

travelling by horse/on horse

Please, I need to ask if it �s correct to say �travelling by horse � or the correct way is �travelling on horse �.
Thanks

7 Dec 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Travelling or going on horseback. 

7 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/travelling-by-horse-on-horse.1898682/ agrees.

7 Dec 2018     

seaquest29
Morocco

remember this: with means of transport we use by ; like we go to school by bus. whereas, foot and animals back we use on
like i go to work on horse or horseback.

8 Dec 2018     

FrauSue
France

Seaquest, I �m afraid you are wrong.

Travelling/Going BY + mode of transport without article (by plane, by horse, by motorbike, by train ...)

Travelling ON horseback / foot
Travelling ON a bike / a motorbike / a + public transport (a plane, a train, a bus)
Traveling IN a + private vehicle (a car, a helicopter) 

8 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Well said, FrauSue.

8 Dec 2018     

Popisnail
France

Hello everyone, I �ve read in a pretty good english grammar book that we should not say "going BY foot", but only "ON foot"... Further I �ve been told that we can actually say "going by foot"... Who to believe ?  

10 Dec 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That text book is right! On foot. 

10 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

If you say going by foot, I envision a vehicle that is shaped like a foot (and called foot) or riding around in a giant foot maybe in a cartoon.

11 Dec 2018