Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Any of you Croatian people who could teach me Croatian?    

Any of you Croatian people who could teach me Croatian?

Mariethe House
France

Any of you Croatian people who could teach me Croatian?

I am trying to find a Croatian girl or boy who would accept to have some conversation classes in Croatian . We could try skype or FB messenger . My mother was Croatian . She came to work inFrance during ww2 and poor soul, she never had a chance to go back to her country. She died very young and I was very young too when she died! So now, after so many years  I am planning a trip to Croatia to go back to the place where she was born . A very emotionnal moment as you can imagine and I don �t want to go there as a tourist . i want to be able to communicate with the people in their language so I need to learn it and practise it. My mother never spoke Croatian to me!! Thought it would hinder my learning French! That was before we knew that being bilingual was a plus!
If anyone is interested, please send me a message.

14 Dec 2018      

spinney
United Kingdom

I don �t speak Croat, but good luck anyway! I hope you find somebody to help. The Rosetta Stone programs may be useful, by the way.

14 Dec 2018     

karagozian
France

I didn �t teach my children Dutch for the same reason you evoked. How stupid !  My daughter has been living in Brussels for more than 20 years now and is still not very good at speaking it.  Good luck !  BTW  I learned Armenian, as my husband is Armenian. It is not a matter of comfort, but just so important to be able to communicate, whatever the language.

14 Dec 2018     

domif
France

Have a look at this link, it may help you!  

14 Dec 2018     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you so much Domif, Karagozian and Spinney.
I �ll check the links you have given me .
Merry Christmas to you .
Mariethe

15 Dec 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good luck dear Marieth�, I hope a nice Croatian gets in touch with you! 
Lynne  

15 Dec 2018     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mariethe

Greetings from the land downunder!

Our dear friend (and now author of many lovely books) anitarobi lives in Croatia.  Maybe she can help?

Cheers

Jayho 

P.S.  Both my parents are Dutch, but they didn�t teach their children their native language. So, I�m in the same boat. Fortunately, most of my Dutch relatives speak very good English, and they like to practice it.

15 Dec 2018     

Mariethe House
France

thank you all for your precious advice. I have checked most links and they will prove very useful, I am sure.
As for conversation on line, yes, Jayho (  I am so pleased to �see � you) , I did think of Anita for exchanging a few skype meetings. Un fortunately , I think she is not too well at the moment . Check her fb page: https://www.facebook.com/anita.dselo

What struck me again, coming back to this place after many years,is the extreme readiness people show when it comes to helping others.  It  always brought bunches of happiness to my heart and it did so, once again! And also being welcome back after a long absence, ... Sooooo heart-warming!!!
So thank you very much : Spinney, Lynne, Domif, Karagozian  and Jayho. I shall let you know how I get on and how the trip went ( Probably Next June or september)

15 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

MarietheHouse, I just came across this site, and if you are still looking, it may be helpful https://www.italki.com/teachers/croatian?teacher_type=0 ..I think it is admirable that you are learning the language.

17 Dec 2018     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Mary for this great link.I will contact the guy! He looks so full of energy!
I don �t know if it is admirable but I can tell you one thing: it is difficult! I can say a few things already . I listen to some videos of the news in Croatian ... I just spot a few words!!! But I �ll google translate the most important things I want to say when I visit the village where my mum was born. And I want to practise some listening to see whether I can understand a simple conversation.. So That �s quite a lot of work! Thank you again for finding this helpful link.

17 Dec 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mariethe House,

It �s lovely to see you back on ESLP again.

Good luck with your study of the Croatian language!

During the time Yugoslavia was breaking up into separate Republics, my home town welcomed many refugees and asylum-seekers from that area.

I had lots of Croatian students in my classes at College. Many of them became dear friends of mine. I remember them well. Lovely people!

I also remember the four Croat words for Speak, Listen, Read, and Write ... after all these years!

I wish you great success in your quest to learn your Mother-language.

With my love!

Les Douglas 

18 Dec 2018