Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dilemmas    

Dilemmas

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dilemmas

Dear colleagues,

First, let me wish you all a very Happy New Year.

I�m so glad to be a member of your family and I appreciate your help so much- it solves so many problems I sometimes have.

My year 2019 starts with  two questions and I hope you�ll be as helpful as always.

Can I use the noun in bold in the following sentence:

-When a set of stage cannons were fired near the Act I to mark the ENTRY of King Lear.... 

I expected the noun ENTRANCE but I�m not sure whether ENTRY can be used too. 

Can you please also tell me if the noun INSURANCE in the sentence below can be used as a countable noun INSURANCES:

-Not only would the theatre have to be rebuilt- in an eara before BUILDINGS INSURANCES, they would have to foot the cost... 
I would use it as an uncountable noun. 

Thank you so much for your answers. 

3 Jan 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The word �entrance� is more frequently used in that context. However , I wouldn�t say �entry� is wrong. Entry is normally used for if you enter a competition or a race, something like that. Entrance, as you will know, also refers to the point of entry, the door! I haven�t heard �insurances� as a plural of insurance - doesn�t mean it�s wrong, you will find it on google, but I wouldn�t use it in that sentence. I think �insurance� works fine, or you could say �insurance policies.� You do ask interesting questions!

3 Jan 2019     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne on both answers, except I wouldn�t say "insurance policies" in this context, because the subject is more general, talking about the concept of insuring buildings, not the policies themselves.

Bruce 

3 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I agree about insurance policies not being right here.

3 Jan 2019     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Lynne and Bruce,

Thank you for helping me.

This is exactly how I thought it should be- I always check the answers on the Internet using different dictionaries and grammar books. However, I feel much safer when I hear it from you ;)) 

4 Jan 2019