Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How do you make sure to maintain your level of English high as a non-native ESL/EFL teacher?    

How do you make sure to maintain your level of English high as a non-native ESL/EFL teacher?

hheyitsme
Tunisia

How do you make sure to maintain your level of English high as a non-native ESL/EFL teacher?

Well, the title says it all -How do you make sure to maintain your level of English high as a non-native ESL/EFL teacher?

3 Jan 2019      

marykate
Spain

This is up to you... But you can do lot of things to maintain your level of English, as practice it with a native speaker, going classes for advanced English students, reading books, watching films or series, ...On the Internet you also have lots of possibilities.Have luck!

4 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I am English... but I am a teacher of French and Italian. I find that watching TV progammes in those languages, with subtitles, helps me. It�s not good enough, though... And as we say, �if you don�t use it, you lose it.� 

4 Jan 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

As an ESOL teacher who has learned several languages in my time, I have used many techniques. You can probably use several of these language  methods to improve your English.

1) I used to read the text on TV programmes of Italian News, Spanish News, German News, etc.
World News is universal, so I often knew about the event from British News, before I read it on foreign News� Programmes.

2) I always watched, (and still watch), films which show sub-titles in a foreign language, reading and listening simultaneously.

3) I bought lots of Agatha Christie stories in English, and also in the foreign languages. (Sometimes I bought dual-language books, with one page in English, and the other page in French, for example.) I skipped backwards and forwards, reading both languages. I frequently made notes of words and phrases, to remind myself later.

4) I went to the cinema to see foreign-language films.

5) I occasionally bought foreign-language newspapers to read.

6) I bought, (second-hand), lots of language-teaching cassettes, conversation CDs, verb table cassettes, and full language courses, (Linguaphone, Hugo, Berlitz, Lonely Planet, etc.) I played them in the car, on the bus, while walking, and occasionally, at home, in my rare free time. But, I didn�t make a conscious effort to learn ... I just �absorbed� the language.

7) By using a pillow speaker under my pillow, I played the cassettes or CDs all through the night, VERY quietly, so that I learned subliminally. Some people play them quietly, in the Kitchen, while studying, while reading, etc. You learn without even listening to them.

8) I bought books of Verb Tables and occasionally glanced at them, so as to increase my Verb Vocabulary.

9) I bought Oxford Verb Wheels, to test myself, and to improve my Verb Tenses.

10) I played language games in my head, while walking, before sleep, etc. "How many Colours/Verbs/Vehicles/etc. do you know?" I set the bar higher and higher, every time, constantly testing myself.

11) I visited foreign-language restaurants, cafes, etc. I deliberately spoke in the language of the restaurant ... much to the surprise of the waiter!

12) I visited my foreign-language students in their homes, having conversations, speaking their language.

13) After I had learned the basics, I enrolled for A-Level Courses at my local college, and always took my Final Exam.

14) Simultaneously, I enrolled with the Open University every year for about 13 years, studying languages, up to Master�s Level.

15) On the very few occasions I have been to Europe, (with University Summer Schools), I have deliberately spoken in the local language to shopkeepers, waiters, everyone ... mistakes and all. Who cares?

16) I took a job as a Tour Guide, to supplement my income, speaking, Dutch, and German, and occasionally other languages.

17) In Charity Shops, or Second-Hand Shops, if I see a book, dictionary, CD, etc. in a foreign language, I buy it, cheaply.

18) I also bought, cheaply, copies of "Lyalls 25 Languages of Europe", "Lonely Planet. Languages of Europe", and "Berlitz Languages". In this way, I could see connections between different languages, and also increase my vocabulary.

19) Whenever I have the opportunity, I speak to my ESOL students in their own language, even if it is only: "Hello" and "Goodbye!".

20) I perform Magic in restaurants, speaking in the language of the customer at the table.
... ... ...

I regard the ability to speak a foreign-language as a gift which has been bestowed upon me. I am immensely grateful for this. Bi-lingual people are ALSO very good at studying other subjects.

You may think that I spent my whole time learning languages ... I DIDN�T.
I had a family, a handicapped wife, and a full-time job to worry about.
I worked on the principle, LITTLE, AND OFTEN,

Lynne Cunliffe is correct!

"USE it, or LOSE it."

Les Douglas 

4 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I like online courses such as Khan academy, coursera, and futurelearn.  It is amazing the level of written language some non-native speakers have achieved.  

4 Jan 2019     

glutenfree
Poland

Creating Podcasts can improve your ESL teaching!

5 Jan 2019     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, they are very helpful!

7 Jan 2019