Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD - 19th January    

WOD - 19th January

FrauSue
France

WOD - 19th January

Thank you to spinney for choosing me as the winner of last week�s competition.

Your word this week is ...

scumfished 

I look forward to reading your entries! 

14 Jan 2019      

MoodyMoody
United States

Scumfished/scumfishing is a deplorable phenomenon wherein an innocent person is lured into making incriminating remarks on social media by people using sockpuppets or fake accounts. Then others believe the victim is scum. It is related to catfishing, using fake accounts in order to get information or con money from people.

14 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Scumfished, eh? Well, it�s nothing to do with �scum� and it�s nothing to do with �fish�; it�s just a word in its own right. And it is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, so �sc�mfeeshed�. It describes how you feel when the world has turned against you. You open the front door and fall flat on your face; it starts raining on your beautifully-lacquered hairdo; the bus is full and the taxi drives past; you go to the chippie and they give you a bad fish; when you get home, you log on, and eslprintables is down. How do you feel? I�m *ing scumfished mate. How are you?

15 Jan 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Scumfished is really special as it is an adjective used for a statue smelling a strong sea perfume because it was carved in sea foam. Is it necessary to add that such a statue is as ephemeral as an ice statue due to the raw material used for it ?

SCUM is the old English for FOAM (in French it is ECUME and in Italian SCHIUMA). Here is the 1st - and main - root of the word.

15 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Scumfished is a descriptive adjective for the shape of a nose that is formed like a fishsnout.

15 Jan 2019     

douglas
United States

It�s how your daughter found her latest boyfriend--she fished for scum and found it. :D 

16 Jan 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Some think that this is an adjective but it is, in fact, a verb to do with brewing beer. It is usually used in the passive to indicate that the beer is fully prepared for shipping after all the sediment, or scum, has been removed from the tank and the beer is ready to be placed into barrels. The beer has been scumfished. 

16 Jan 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Here it goes. This was tough though...
As the word say a SCUMFISHED is someone who has been caught committing a crime and who is considered a scum for the society. 
Really tough word this time! Have a nice weekend
Aisha 

17 Jan 2019     

FrauSue
France

Thanks for your entries! The winner is redcamarocruiser as your entry made me laugh! I love the image of a person with a fish snout nose.

Scumfished is in fact a Scottish term for feeling hot, sticky and sweaty. "I hate this hot, humid weather. I�m fair scumfished." 

21 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you, Frrau Sue! I will post a new WOD ASAP.

22 Jan 2019