Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Passive voice doubts    

Passive voice doubts

inmaaa86
Spain

Passive voice doubts

Hello colleagues, today when I was correcting passive sentences with my students I "suffered"some doubts. I am going to write the active sentences: 
Anna blew all the ballons for Peter`s party.
He has broken his relationship with her.
My sister is going to buy a new dress for the party
We are catching the nine o`clock bus to Grafton street.
They have found an important treassure in my city.
An expert is giving a lecture on antique cars. 
 They are going to to deliver the new computers next week.
The problem for me was that I am not sure where the agent goes in the sentece when the passive subject is long.  His relationship with her has been broken by him was my answer. Could yo please tell me the correct order? Thanks so much for your help and wonderful site.  

17 Jan 2019      

spinney
United Kingdom

I would say "Their relationship was broken off by him," although I think it would sound better to say "the relationship was ended by him."
Be careful about the balloons though. We blow up balloons, meaning to inflate them.  The answer would be "The balloons (for Peter�s party) were blown up by Anne." 
I hope that helps. 

17 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I completely agree with Spinney. I was thinking the same thing as I read through the sentences, and when I came to his answer, I thought, oh good it has already been answered.

17 Jan 2019     

douglas
United States

@Spinney, good advice about balloons--that could be totally misconstrued and lead to a really embarrassing situation :)

18 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

All the balloons for peter�s party were blown up by anne. His relationship with her has been broken off /was broken off by him A new dress for the party is going to be bought by my sister. The busto grafton street is going to be caught /being caught by us An important treasure in my city has been found by them.(in my city could go at the end) A lecture on antique cars is being given by an expert. The new computers are going to be delivered by them next week. I guess that in general, the agent goes at the end. With time clauses, you have a choice. Excuse lack of capitals etc, just got tiny tablet. I dont know what spinney et al are on about.... getting old;))))

18 Jan 2019     

inmaaa86
Spain

Thanks so much dear friends for your great explanation. Now I have things as clear as crystal.You know sometimes students love to put you in a bind. 

18 Jan 2019     

aperkins4
Japan

Just in case you want to double-check the active and pasive versions of each sentence with the correct tense and aspect, here is how I would write them:

Anna blew [up] all the ballons for Peter`s party. --> All the balloons for Peter`s party were blown up by Anna.
He has broken [off] his relationship with her. --> Her relationship with him has been broken off by him.
My sister is going to buy a new dress for the party. --> A new dress is going to be bought by my sister for the party.
We are catching the nine o`clock bus to Grafton [S]treet. --> The nine o`clock bus to Grafton Street is being caught by us.
They have found an important treas[]ure in my city. (Only 1 "s" in treasure) --> An important treasure has been found by them in my city. 
An expert is giving a lecture on antique cars. --> A lecture on antique cars is being given by an expert.
They are going to to deliver the new computers next week. --> The new computers are going to be delivered next week.

I recommend adding "up" and "off" to the first two sentences, respectively. For the 4th sentence, "Street" should be capitalized if part of the street`s proper name. For the fifth sentence, there is only one "s" in treasure.

As for the prepositional phrases (PP-from here on) at the end of the sentences, their location in the passive sentences depends on what the PP is modifying. If the PP is modifying a noun phrase, it stays with that phrase (i.e. "The balloons for Peter`s party", "the nine o`clock bus to Grafton Street", and "a lecture on antique cars"). However, if the PP modifies the verb phrase, then it can remain at the end of the sentence (i.e. buying for the party, finding in my city, delivering next week).

I hope this helps!

20 Jan 2019