Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TEACHING YOUNG KIDS - AGE: 6 TO 8     

TEACHING YOUNG KIDS - AGE: 6 TO 8

ascincoquinas
Portugal

TEACHING YOUNG KIDS - AGE: 6 TO 8

Hello there! 

This year I am going to teach English for the first time to kids (who can�t  write properly in their mother tongue). Therefore my headmaster told me to teach some words/sentences in English. 
 I am not sure how to handle with so tiny human beings since I am used to teens, what type of activities and strategies do you suggest? 

Thanks in advance.

Ascincoquinas 

18 Jan 2019      

Elina21
Greece

Hello from Greece!
I suggest you start with planning a syllabus. Colours, numbers up to 10 and then 20, animals... Then you need to find appropriate songs on youtube, download them on a usb to have them ready to use. Songs repeat the language you wish to teach and make your pupils learn while having fun.Action songs are preferable because they act out what they learn. I also use books, like,  Brown Bear, Brown bear what do you see? and later Goldilocks (there is great material on British Council ), then I move to "the very hungry caterpillar and then Wiinie the Witch. Each book gives you a thematic area. Brown bear, colours, animals, the caterpillar food and numbers, Winnie, the rooms of the house and furniture and Goldilocks again food and phrases like too big, too small etc. In all cases you need to have arts-and-crafts activities because they help young learners assimilate new knowledge easily. Action songs, arts-and-crafts, miming are key activities.
If you wish them to write start teaching them phonics because in this way in no time they�ll be able to read. I have uploaded some worksheets concerning writing with young learners in case you�re interested in getting ideas... I start phonics with them after having done one year oral teaching...
I hope I helped you..if you need something else send me a message...
Enjoy it because it�s very rewarding!

18 Jan 2019     

maryse pey�
France

A very good material, in my opinion of course, is the Disney series "Magic English". The short "films", from the very beginning then the level progressively goes up, are available on youtube.

You will enjoy this and your students will be appealed !

Hugs.

Maryse.

18 Jan 2019     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thanks so much!

Ascincoquinas 

18 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

In addition to the excellent ideas already posted, you might find something in my English club ideas useful

I have not checked the links, so some might have changed, but one can usually find replacements in youtube.

Wishing you much success,
Mary 

18 Jan 2019     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Also, you can check  www.teachingenglishgames.com 

Games, songs, books, and stories for young learners

19 Jan 2019     

valodra
France

Hello,
You can also use blogs from colleagues in Primary schools ( syllabus ; worksheets, etc ! ) These 2 examples are in French, so if you want to access their material, you�ll have to click on "lire la suite.."
Val

19 Jan 2019     

Cariboo
France

Thanks for all these tips !!!

Ascincoquinas good luck with this new project !!!

19 Jan 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Hi:
I�ve been working with toddlers for a couple of years and we mainly were teaching them what it is already being suggested in here. The most important thing with them is to repeat short and easy story tales, and to make sure they get what you tell them using mime. Something important is to make them feel confortable and interested in the activities (like games for that age), encouraging them with phrases like: �amazing�, �great job�, �well done�...The activities should be changed each 10 min. as at that age they get easily bored. They could learn songs and dance them using mime too... And that is it! ;)
It is a pleasure to work with the most innocents, I �m sure you will love it and love them too! ;)
Here you will see a good example of how to work with toddlers: 

Aisha 

19 Jan 2019     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Dear Eslprintable members,

I just want to thank you once again for all your help!

I love this site! 

Regards from Portugal 

Ascincoquinas 

21 Jan 2019     

aliciapc
Uruguay

If they can�t write properly yet, I�d focus more on oral activities, games, songs. It�s better - in my opinion - to let them become familiar with all the letters in the alphabet before starting with a new kind of writing (where sounds don�t correspond to the written letter in many many cases...)

22 Jan 2019