Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Conversation Lessons Evaluation Ideas    

Conversation Lessons Evaluation Ideas

netameli
Czech Republic

Conversation Lessons Evaluation Ideas

Hi,

I was teaching both grammar and speaking in elementary school but this term  I�m going to teach speaking only as Parents demanded more speaking lessons for their children and I am actually very happy about it. The thing is I couldn�t figure out how to evaluate my students. We have a system here like, you need to give feedback to the Ss every lesson. With grammar included, I was doing some quizzes and short oral exams with a few Qs but they were mostly in written form as the content of the lesson shifted completely I need some methods of evaluation based more on speaking and listening skills rather than writing.

I want to be completely objective so first I checked some rubrics. These rubrics work for presentations but I couldn�t find anything else.

I also thought about listening exams which have an answer key so that would be also objective type of evaluation. 

5-Question oral quizzes are for example I ask the Ss 5 random Qs and give them minuses and pluses for them.

So what I have now are presentations, oral quizzes and listening exams. Have you got other types of evaluation methods you can share.

Thank you so much 

28 Jan 2019      

aee.aee
Slovenia

Hello.

You don�t always need to give the feedback by yourself. Think about self-assessment and peer-assessment, as well. 
Sometimes students have great and original ideas, let them help you out.  

If you have any questions, send me a private message. 

Mattea 

28 Jan 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Using a rubric is suggested by busyteacher. https://busyteacher.org/4836-how-to-evaluate-speaking.html

Several links resulted from this search: esl feedback for oral work 

I was actually looking for a simple, one page checklist that a teacher can use in the classroom while observing the students� interactions. 
https://startalk.umd.edu/public/system/files/resources/cal_clock3-samplechecklistsandrecordforms_0.pdf has some example checklists, but in my opinion, they are a bit complicated and I cannot imagine incorporating them into the classroom teaching seamlessly.

This one is similar to one I saw years ago in a teacher training program, except the categories went in the top row, across, and the students� names went down the first column, making a row for each student. 
Also, there were fields for the target grammar point(s) e.g. student used irregular simple past verbs correctly.

I hope that another teacher who uses an observation checklist can share it.

29 Jan 2019     

aneuboeck
Austria

Hi, always keep in mind that speaking is a rather non-academic skill. If you assess speaking skills you must keep in mind that it has a lot to do with the pupil�s self-consciousness. Grammatical accuracy is important in academic skills, like writing. I�d rather focus on vocab, fluency, content and - depending on the setting - interaction. I�ve been assessing speaking skills for just two years but I still believe it is quite missing the point if you emphasise grammar too much. Pupils mainly focus on meaning rather than on accuracy. e.g.: He go to school. -- He goes to school. The third person �s� has no impact on the meaning but grammatical accuracy. Just give it a thought.

29 Jan 2019     

Paopolpetta
Italy

I try to assess speaking using graded exercises: for example the basis could be "say the word" (looking at picures), the second level  could be answering to questions using short answers, the third one giving complete answers or describing a situation/person/...
Obviously it depends on the Ss� age and level.  I usually evaluate fluency and accuracy, but I must admit I tend to emphasize the effective communication skills (fluency) rather than grammar with VYL and YL.
I often provide group work and let the other groups evaluate the product. 
Self evaluation (of the product and the process) is also a good point of view.  

30 Jan 2019     

netameli
Czech Republic

aee.aee
Slovenia

Hello.
You don´t always need to give the feedback by yourself. Think about self-assessment and peer-assessment, as well.
Sometimes students have great and original ideas, let them help you out.
If you have any questions, send me a private message.
Mattea
Hi Mattea,

Yes that really is a good idea. I can use both ways of assessment but I would be very happy if you could give me an example of how to structure the self assessment and peer assessment environment. I can only think of that kind of assessment for presentations. 

My question is for example during the lesson when you are doing the speaking activities from the book on daily basis what kind of activities do you structure to evaluate the Ss?

31 Jan 2019     

netameli
Czech Republic

redcamarocruiser
United States

Using a rubric is suggested by busyteacher. https://busyteacher.org/4836-how-to-evaluate-speaking.html
Several links resulted from this search: esl feedback for oral work
I was actually looking for a simple, one page checklist that a teacher can use in the classroom while observing the students’ interactions.
https://startalk.umd.edu/public/system/files/resources/cal_clock3-samplechecklistsandrecordforms_0.pdf has some example checklists, but in my opinion, they are a bit complicated and I cannot imagine incorporating them into the classroom teaching seamlessly.
This one is similar to one I saw years ago in a teacher training program, except the categories went in the top row, across, and the students’ names went down the first column, making a row for each student.
Also, there were fields for the target grammar point(s) e.g. student used irregular simple past verbs correctly.
I hope that another teacher who uses an observation checklist can share it.
I thank you very much for all the links you�ve sent. I read them all and I like the complicated rubric for presentations. Of course I can make some changes on it but it is good to see many examples to create your own version.

I really want to spice up the speaking lessons with different kinds of activities other than classical ones like presentations and listening exams. I think I would prefer the ones that don�t sound like an artificial speaking activity but which can be applied to many topics. I feel like I have no creativity :D

31 Jan 2019     

netameli
Czech Republic

aneuboeck
Austria

Hi, always keep in mind that speaking is a rather non-academic skill. If you assess speaking skills you must keep in mind that it has a lot to do with the pupil´s self-consciousness. Grammatical accuracy is important in academic skills, like writing. I´d rather focus on vocab, fluency, content and - depending on the setting - interaction. I´ve been assessing speaking skills for just two years but I still believe it is quite missing the point if you emphasise grammar too much. Pupils mainly focus on meaning rather than on accuracy. e.g.: He go to school. -- He goes to school. The third person ´s´ has no impact on the meaning but grammatical accuracy. Just give it a thought.
I totally agree with your thoughts about the classical view for grammar in speaking lessons. I think that�s the main obstacle that causes the Ss to keep their silence. I won�t be focusing on grammar use and I don�t plan to correct <go> to <goes>  but there are more urgent mistakes to be corrected like the word order in a sentence for the Czech language speakers as they tend to use the order in Czech language while they are speaking.

31 Jan 2019     

netameli
Czech Republic

Paopolpetta
Italy

I try to assess speaking using graded exercises: for example the basis could be "say the word" (looking at picures), the second level could be answering to questions using short answers, the third one giving complete answers or describing a situation/person/...
Obviously it depends on the Ss´ age and level. I usually evaluate fluency and accuracy, but I must admit I tend to emphasize the effective communication skills (fluency) rather than grammar with VYL and YL.
I often provide group work and let the other groups evaluate the product.
Self evaluation (of the product and the process) is also a good point of view.
That is one thing  which always keeps me busy and makes me feel like in between actually. Evaluating the Ss within their level so to say. Before submitting the finals marks for the half term reports I put the Ss in order according to their level. I was taking, for example, the best S in all skills as the highest one and I always thought ��as this S is the best, the other one can only be a level down compared to him/her�� but on the other hand, every S has his/her own aim/unique level so it is so hard being fair among the Ss and being fair to a specific S. 

31 Jan 2019