Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Pseudo-clefts without "what"    

Pseudo-clefts without "what"

ninon100
Russian Federation

Pseudo-clefts without "what"

Dear colleagues,

can we possibly use pseudo-clefts with other words, such as "who", "how", "when" and so on?
Pseudo-clefts are typically used with "what": What I need is a cup of coffee. What he loves is a hearty breakfast. What we all missed was attention. BUT: we can�t always use "what"! For people or places or reasons we have to use who, where or why. Are they possible in pseudo-clefts? 
For instance, "I have chosen you to be my partner." Who I have chosen to be my partner is you.
Or: "We are planning to get married in summer." When we are planning to get married is in summer. 

I�m not talking about "it" construction, like "It�s you that I�ve chosen" - that�s obvious. The problem is pseudo-clefts!

4 Feb 2019      

jannabanna
France

Hi Ninon,

This seems clear:

As a native speaker I must admit I�ve never heard this kind of sentence with anything other than the pronoun "what". 

Janet 

4 Feb 2019     

yanogator
United States

You definitely can use words other than what, at least in the US.

Who you are is a combination of genetics and upbringing.

Where we are going for vacation is still being discussed.

Why she said that I don�t know.

How you do it is completely up to you.

Your two examples, ninon100, sound a little unnatural, because you built them from other sentences. 

Bruce 

4 Feb 2019     

ninon100
Russian Federation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsLcSzIUYo

This teacher, however, is USING who- and why- pseudoclefts in his lecture (11 min 20 sc of the video)

I�m totally confused.

Maybe they are American only? Or very informal?  

4 Feb 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Hi:
The sentences Bruce has written you are quite usual in English from Ireland, so I guess it is not only in the USA.
However, I can�t talk if in the UK would be the same.
The sentences you wrote as Bruce says to yoy sound weird, I would say instead:
"You are the one who I have chosen" or "It�s you who I have chosen to be my partner" "Summer is when we are planning to get married" or "It�s Summer when we are planning to get married".

Imagine this conversation:
Peter: You are looking to that man! I knew you were cheating me!
Mary: No, I love you. Who I have chosen among all men in the world is you!
 (This is a correct sentence)
So, maybe and only maybe depending on the situation, your sentence could be possible. 
I hope someone could help us!

Aisha  

4 Feb 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Maybe this can help you:
You wrote:
 When we are planning to get married is in summer".
Now let�s make it natural:
"It�s in summer when we are planning to get married" 
The subject is IT.  When you reverse the sentence you still need a subject and your sentence hasn�t got any. 
I have seen the video and he doesn�t talk about "where" but only "who" or "why" instead. 
Anyway, I hope someone can bring a little bit of light here as I am such a kind of person who doesn�t sleep until it knows the answer. I will rack my brain  until then! :@
Aisha

4 Feb 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

I had a brief look at your clip and the speaker doesn�t sound American at all, ninon100. Most of the examples I�ve seen so far using wh- words other than �what�, seem to me to be forced and unnatural. Perhaps you need to rethink what you mean by a pseudo-cleft. 

I�m sure you�re aware that the whole construction known as a wh- or pseudo-cleft consists of foregrounded and backgrounded elements, linked by a form of the verb be. The two elements can be analysed separately. The backgrounded element (the wh-clause, if you like) is what is known as a fused relative (sometimes called a free relative, or nominal-relative, clause), which forms part of the pseudo-cleft construction. But not every sentence with a fused relative is necessarily a pseudo-cleft. Basically, all wh- words can occur with a fused relative � but often only under very limited conditions. �Who� (or �whom�), for example, is normally used nowadays only with certain verbs, such as want, choose or like (compare �I�ll invite who I choose� with *�Who I choose I�ll invite� or *�Who invited John is an idiot� and �Whoever invited John is an idiot�). 

Anyway, I�m glad you raised this particular question, ninon100, and I�m aware that there are some who might disagree with this analysis (it�s not exactly traditional, I know), but if nothing else, you�ve jogged a failing memory and given me something other than Disney Princess stories to think about while I�m babysitting 

Alex

I say �nowadays� since we rarely use the type of construction commonly seen in Shakespeare: "Who steals my purse steals trash..."

4 Feb 2019     

ninon100
Russian Federation

What a fascinating topic :) Thanks everyone! I�ll try to avoid any other constructions but "what". However, it�s not that they are completely banned... Just better left unsaid 
Or replaced!

4 Feb 2019