Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Intonation problems for Spanish speakers in English    

Intonation problems for Spanish speakers in English

spinney
United Kingdom

Intonation problems for Spanish speakers in English

So, I was wondering if anybody could think of some typical intonation problems for Spanish speakers.
I have a stinking cold and really can�t think of much at the moment except for the following:

Afternoon
Canada

I know there are a lot more but I would like to develop something for a class I have on Wednesday and can�t find much on google. Preferably I want to do something with some kind of game or maybe even a correction exercise with listening comprehension.
If anybody can add to this list you will have my undying gratitude.
Cheers
Dale 

15 Feb 2019      

Aisha77
Spain

Hi dear Dale ( I know at the end your name!!!):
When I was learning I had many issues with the letter "j", we pronounce it hard as the arabic, so all the words with that sound probably are a hurdle in the way.
JUST; JEALOUSY; JOINT...

Another problem that spaniards may have is the "h" sound and of course the words starting with "s" as we all pronounce "es" when naming those words.
HAM; HOLLY; HIT; STABLE; STORM; STATE...

"v" could be a problem too, as we pronounce "v" and "b" the same way:
VIOLET; VIOLENCE; VOLCANO; VELVET 

I hope I helped you a bit.
Have a great weekend
Aisha ;) 

edit: There are some words that are important as when spanish pronounce them wrongly, the meaning obviously change: "SHIP" VS. "SHEEP"; "BICH" VS. "BEACH"...

15 Feb 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks Aisha! Ever helpful as always.
I have already done some pronunciation worksheets for Spanish speakers and I have done a few listening comprehension exercises for the "V" and "B"  conundrum as well as the "slip, sleep" sort of thingy.
Getting them to say "sssschool" instead of "ehschool" is relatively simple if you are patient but if anybody can think of an entertaining way to do it, please, let�s hear it. (I usually write an "s+consonant" word on a piece of paper and make them hiss for a few seconds before turning the paper around for them to pronounce it.)  

What I really, really need is the intonation problems I have heard from time to time but, for some reason, I haven�t taken note of. No matter how many times I correct "afterNOON" my students still say "AFTERnoon." There are countless more but I have forgotten them and can�t find anything online. Mind you, my cold is getting better, so perhaps I�ll think for something before long. 

16 Feb 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

I see, thank God your cold is getting better, cause I have realized I might not be of any help, as about intonation I don�t really know the problems we might have, probably I even have those issues myself and nobody told me LOL.
About an entertaining way to learn well the sibilant "s", maybe there are some tongue twisters that could fit you.
Anyway, as I said thank God you are better, not only for my lack of help, but for your health. ;)
Best wishes
Aisha ;) 

16 Feb 2019     

douglas
United States

you and yard

18 Feb 2019     

heikeo53
Mexico

Hello,
I�m not sure by your examples if you refer to stress or intonation.
A typical intonation problem of Spanish speaking students is the following.
All types of questions  in Spanish have a rising intonation, SS therefore use rising intonation in WH-questions.

18 Feb 2019