Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > STATIVE VS. DYNAMIC VERBS    

STATIVE VS. DYNAMIC VERBS

heikeo53
Mexico

STATIVE VS. DYNAMIC VERBS

Hello,
I would very much appreciate your help.
 Unit 2 of the textbook "Sparkle Purple" (in case you are workig with it) deals with the Use of Past Progressive. In this context the book speaks of "Continous , Non.continous and Mixed verbs. My understanding is that they mean Dynamic and Stative verbs.
The column  "Mixed verbs" lists the following verbs:
remember, think, have, look, hear.  I know the difference in meaning of think and have when used in Simple or Progressive.
I also know the difference between remember+Inf. or Gerund, but: can the verbs remember, look and hear be used in Progressive Tenses and if so, what�s their difference in meaning compared to their use in simple tenses or does the book simply mix up two different grammar points (verbs+inf/gerund and dynamic/stative verbs?
Thanks in advance for your answer. 

18 Feb 2019      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Yes, you can use remember, hear, and look in past progressive.

Here are some examples:

On their anniversary he was remembering their first kiss. (The remembering is happening now).  
On their anniversary he remembered their first kiss. (The remembering is done and is being reported or is part of a narration). 

He couldn�t believe he was hearing about it for the first time. (It�s happening now).  
He heard about it for the first time last week. (It already happened). 

He was looking for her everywhere and was worried sick. (Description of an ongoing action).  
He looked everywhere and was worried sick. (The search is already completed and it is being reported). 

Edit: wonderful explanation below by Bruce! Thanks again Bruce!

19 Feb 2019     

yanogator
United States

Yes, they are considered stative verbs, but I think people are taught an over-simplified explanation of how they work. Many stative verbs can be used in the progressive tenses, and frequently are by native speakers. The progressive tenses emphasize the time-related nature of an activity, and sort of give you a feeling of the time that passes. Also, the present progressive is used to emphasize that something is happening now.

I hear music. - a simple statement of fact.
I�m hearing Beethoven�s Choral Fantasy,  - The music is playing (over a period of time), and coming to my ears.
I wasn�t hearing you correctly because of all the noise in the room, so I misunderstood. 

I can�t come to the phone now; I�m having my dinner.

This vacation is costing far more than I expected. -  It is happening now, and is over a period of time
We had to leave Florence, because it was costing us a fortune! 

Bruce 

19 Feb 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Yanogator &redcamarocruiser: 
Thanks for your willingness. It�s a pleasure knowing there are always someone like you trying to help for nothing in this site!
Aisha ;) 

21 Feb 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Aisha - how do you know it�s for nothing? 

21 Feb 2019     

karagozian
France

Eh ! Lynne is quite right ! I love her humour.

21 Feb 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

I didn�t think about it!  
As monique says: Lynne you are really funny!!  

21 Feb 2019