Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD - 2019    

WOD - 2019

spinney
United Kingdom

WOD - 2019

WOD 19/02/19
Thank you Aisha for picking my WOD entry. I�ll try and do justice to the honour you have bestowed upon my humble person.  
Right, this week�s word is none other than:

PUCKATERRY 

I�ll choose the winner on Saturday or Sunday, depending on internet connection.

I�ll start you off

PUCKATERRY = To kiss somebody you should not have kissed. Example, "I saw that puckaterry. You wait till I see your partner!

19 Feb 2019      

Aisha77
Spain

Well, in the book of "A Midsummer Night�s dream" of William Shakespeare, there is a trickster goblin called PUCK.
There are a couple of Wagner�s cartoons characters that we all know: Tom (The cat/Kat) and Jerry (The mouse) 
Aisha ;)
So PUCKATERRY is the possession of a goblin. When a pet (cat, dog or hamster) is haunted with PUCK�s spirit they act like crazy, for example a cat may bark and viceversa...
Aisha ;) 

19 Feb 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Have you ever seen Puck the Duck in the truck ? He is a pottery duck and he has numerous twins.

So a puckaterry is a merry truck full of Puck the Ducks all merry too even if the ducks are only pottery !

19 Feb 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Puck - a disk used in hockey
terry a short form for terry cloth
a - the sound for �of� in a nonstressed syllable 

A Puck-a-terry is a soft hockey puck made of terry colth, for toddlers to play with

19 Feb 2019     

douglas
United States

Puck- at- Terry obviously refers to taking a shot at the former Canadian hockey goalie Terry Sawchuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Sawchuk

20 Feb 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Puckaterry.

Four brave members of the Puckaterry tribe from Central Africa, (2 men, 2 women, and their pet Polar Bear), went exploring the world in their ocean liner.

First, they voted where to go. Two wanted to journey overland to North America, and Two wanted to sail overseas to South America..

Because the Polar Bear had the deciding vote, they eventually flew to an isolated beach in frozen Antarctica.
They called their village: "Sfreezineer".

I will not bore you with long-winded descriptions of the 23 hours of total darkness every day. As teachers, you have enough problems of your own.

But I WILL describe how they endured those long, cold nights, singing Nursery Rhymes.

From colonists, they had learned a quaint English Nursery Rhyme, regarding the eating habits of the Upper-Class Gentry.

"Hot-Cross-Buns! Hot-Cross-Buns!
One-a-penny, Two-a-penny!
Hot-Cross-Buns!"

So, in their own Puckaterry language, they sang:

"Frost-Cold-Bums! Frost-Cold-Bums!
Make an Igloo-Tea-Brew, Thank You!
Frost-Cold-Bums!"

Les

20 Feb 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I�m afraid it�s a piece of jargon, among pilots. It means a safe place to land. You are coming in on a wing and a prayer as your engines have packed in; you are looking for a strip of land, or a deserted motorway or something/anything!  and you see a genuine (pukka) piece of ground (terre). 
OMG, we are going to crash unless we can see a bit of pukkaterre! Captain, Captain, look to your right (or left, depending) there�s a pukka terre -eehhhh !  

20 Feb 2019     

MoodyMoody
United States

Isn�t "puckaterry" rather vulgar Cockney rhyming slang, where the main words are replaced by rhyming words? The meaning is to have sexual relations with a homosexual.

I will trust that you can figure out the extremely vulgar word that rhymes with "puck."

-a-: a, one

terry: rhymes with "fairy," a slang term for a homosexual man.

20 Feb 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

And the winner is ...... none other than Maryse Peye! 
Take it away, madam! 

24 Feb 2019