Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Reported speech    

Reported speech

badr.a7
Morocco

Reported speech

Hello teachers, please tell me what is the correct way to report this question: " are you serious? ", john asked me. A- john asked me if i was serious. B- John asked me if i were serious. I know in conditional type 2 the correct structure is if i were you i would..... but i want to make sure here in reported speech. Thanks

21 Feb 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s �was�. �Am > was� in reported speech. So, �John asked me if I was serious.� By the way, even with the other example there, most people these days would say, �If I was you, I would�... Many people would write it as well, and anybody under twenty saying �if I were you...� is highly educated

Lynne 

21 Feb 2019     

badr.a7
Morocco

I really apreciate your reply. But i just want to know what s grammatcally correct so that i can teach it. What people say or use is less important to me because sometimes incorrect structures are more common. So grammatically it s " he asked me if i was ... " is this what you mean. Regards

21 Feb 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, that�s what I mean! 
Sorry, I just mentioned in passing that the �If I were you�etc is going out of fashion a bit, more�s the pity! And of course many people still use that, but that wasn�t your question. 

21 Feb 2019     

badr.a7
Morocco

Thank you

21 Feb 2019     

ilezay
Mexico

Hello! Your answer "A" is correct because reported speech and 2nd conditional are different topics. So.. as badr.a7 said. It is correct WAS. John asked me if i was serious.

21 Feb 2019     

badr.a7
Morocco

thank you ilezay

21 Feb 2019     

gailbrown
United States

a href="http://www.eslprintables.com/"lkjlkj/a [url=http://www.eslprintables.com/]lkjlkj[/url]

28 Feb 2019