Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to ask for permission to go To WC in class    

How to ask for permission to go To WC in class

dhouha
Tunisia

How to ask for permission to go To WC in class

Hi I need your help especially native speakers if possible. Is it possible to accustom students staying " May I go to the W C"(washing center). I found going to the toilet as not decent in classrooms. Thanks for your help

28 Feb 2019      

douglas
United States

In the USA we often use "restroom"; using the term "WC" (water closet) is not very common in the USA

"May I go to the restroom please?"

1 Mar 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s perfectly acceptable in the UK. �Can I go to the toilet, please?�  Or, �I need the toilet.� 

1 Mar 2019     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I agree with Cunliffe  - in the UK everyone says �can I go to the toilet, please?�

1 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

What is not decent with the word "toilet"? It is a french word and perfectly polite.  

1 Mar 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

In addition to �restroom�  many Americans ask to go to the �bathroom� . 

1 Mar 2019     

swarupadps
India

May I use the restroom/washroom. I need to freshen up, may I?

2 Mar 2019     

swarupadps
India

May I use the restroom/washroom. I need to freshen up, may I?

2 Mar 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Yep, we say "Can/may/could I go to the toilet?" I love the idea of WC being "water centre." It is "water closet" but I like the idea. But then again, we Brits have a bit of a thing for toilets. It is, in fact, the basis of our culture. :-D 

3 Mar 2019     

douglas
United States

@ Spinney: "...we Brits have a bit of a thing for toilets. It is, in fact, the basis of our culture."

--that sounds like an interesting topic to discuss over a few beers (I have no idea why you came up with that)

4 Mar 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Douglas: It�s a bit of a Brit thing. I was, of course, referring to none other than the Red Baron�s comments during his encounter with Blackadder. Second quote down. 

4 Mar 2019