Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Study Material for TOEIC or LCCI (ELSA?)    

Study Material for TOEIC or LCCI (ELSA?)

douglas
United States

Study Material for TOEIC or LCCI (ELSA?)

Hi All,

A colleague of mine just asked if I could recommend any good study materials (books) to help her "prepare for a TOEIC or LCCI test for advanced level".

My lessons are all mostly conversational or company/industry specific stuff that requires no testing, so I have never worked with any qualification tests.

Can anybody offer advice, suggestions, personal experience that may help?

Thanks in advance,
Douglas

5 Mar 2019      

minimal70
Morocco

Hi there
Tell him to try   "Longman Preparation Series For The New Toeic Test" Advanced Course
 He can use the fourth or fifth edition.
I use it with my engineering students. I reckon  that it�s worth of use
Good Luck 

5 Mar 2019     

joannajs
Poland

Hi Douglas,

Minimal is right recommending a coursebook. In fact, most publishing houses have something on offer for you. If you don�t have much experience with preparation for that particular exam, I�d definitely adopt one of the coursebooks to give you better guidance. Every now and then I�d ask the student to do a home-take practice test to familiarize him/her with the format. What you would be interested in are TOEIC  Listening and Reading; Speaking and Writing (NOT TOEIC Bridge which is A1-B1 level). Below are the links to some of the coursebooks and testbanks you may consider:

As for LCCI, my advice would be exactly the same. What Pearson offers are its Market Leader coursebook series (not directly tied to the exam), OUP doesn�t have anything directly linked to LCCI either (only Business Result series), No offer from CUP either. If your student is interested in a business exam at an advanced level, there is always BEC Higher at C1 level (Cambridge Business English Certificate), and there are many books and testbanks to help you here. Oh, there is a book called How to Pass English for Business Third Level by Davison and Mellor.

Bear in mind that these are two quite different exams: TOEIC is general English (you sort of can�t fail it, it�s just the question of the number of points you get that describes your level, it�s very practical, you get the results fast - max 10 days). LCCI will take longer (6 weeks), it�s mainly a written test where you write business correspondence, reports, notes, analyses etc, there is also a speaking component. It�s a business English exam - like BEC. Apples and bananas. Choose wisely :-)

Hope I could help a little.

best, joanna 

5 Mar 2019     

douglas
United States

Thanks for the great advice / help!  I�ll pass it on to her.

Cheers,
Douglas

6 Mar 2019