Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffynition 7th March    

Daffynition 7th March

FrauSue
France

Daffynition 7th March

Thank you Maryse for choosing my definition of �bergschrund� as the winner of the last WOD competition.

The word for this week is:

POPACATAPETL 

My daughter has just learnt how to say this and I hear it all day, every day in our house! 

I look forward to seeing your creative ideas. Have fun! 

7 Mar 2019      

maryse pey�
France

Oh that�s really easy, indeed !
POP, A CAT TAPE To Learn how to purr... or to bark if you prefer the dogs !

This is the name of the whole programme of the lessons for the petolics, particularly of the cats (or the dogs) who want to communicate better with their pet.

MEAOW !

As you can notice I have started the 1st lesson... Well ... I know ! My accent is not yet very good...

7 Mar 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

PO-PA-CA-TA-PETL is a magical encantation said before making a wish, not unlike abracadabra open sesame.

7 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

O Lord, forgive me for what I am going to write!!
Hehehe! POPACATAPETL  comes from: " POPitas A CATAPLines"
"Popitas" are popcorns , "a" means �to�, and "cataplines" means �mommy-daddy button�...
So it is when you are watching a dirty film naked and the popcorns fall down to your privates... 
LOL this has been really cheecky... Forgive me, plz!!

8 Mar 2019     

smartenglish1
Mexico

And this is our Popocatepetl !

8 Mar 2019     

glutenfree
Poland

POPOCATEPETL is the Chine�s one-CAT-per-family policy.

8 Mar 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Sorry folks, you are all wrong. It�s an onomatopoeic word. It�s the sound that sends railway commuters to sleep when travelling by train.
E.g. "I sat on the train reading a short story but found that I missed my stop as the POPOCATEPETL of the wheels going over the tracks had sent me to sleep in less than 5 minutes."

11 Mar 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Members,

You will have heard recently, that GLOW, the Generative Linguists of the Old World, have decided to come into the New World.

They now accept that OFOM, One Form-One Meaning, can actually be TTFM, Two Two-Form Meaning. Consequently, this has prevented them from having a REST, Revised Extended Standard Theory, and has moved them towards UTAH, Uniformity of Theta-role Assignment Hypothesis.

In short,

POPOCATEPETL

should really be read as:

POPAPATAKETTLE

For those of you familiar with Irish Gaelic, the modern translation is:

"Cupán tae do Phádraig, le do thoil!"

"A cup of tea for Patrick, please!"

Les Douglas.

12 Mar 2019     

FrauSue
France

Thank you for your entries! I really like Spinney�s onomatopoeia, but the winner has to be Aisha for her cheeky popcorn story. Well done, Aisha!

Popacatapetl is of course the volcano in the picture posted by smartenglish, and the legendary prince the volcano is named after. 

14 Mar 2019