Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar    

Grammar

qismat
Pakistan

Grammar

Plz guide The following exclamatory sentence can be changed into statement sentence like this? Be quiet!(exclamatory) Be quiet. (statement sentence)

14 Mar 2019      

yanogator
United States

Hi, qismat,
No, I don�t think that�s possible, since the form "Be" is imperative, not delarative.

Bruce 

14 Mar 2019     

zoemorosini
United States

I found this site helpful:
 http://plato.algonquincollege.com/applications/guideToGrammar/?page_id=3243

14 Mar 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce. "Be quiet," is not a declarative sentence. " They are quiet " is an example of a declarative sentence. It needs a subject.

14 Mar 2019     

ldeloresmoore
China

That�s an interesting question.  I remember that my wonderful grammarian English teacher in, like, 4th or 5th grade said that the implied "you" (or other subject) did not take away from it being a declarative sentence.  

15 Mar 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Do you remember what example your teacher used to illustrate this point?

15 Mar 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That�s not possible, on its own. Only if it is part of a sentence. It would be helpful if you would be quiet. 

16 Mar 2019     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Delores, are you sure the teacher didn�t just say that the implied subject didn�t take away from it being a complete sentence, because it definitely is imperative, not declarative?

Bruce 

16 Mar 2019