Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teacher leaders    

Teacher leaders

grimsim
France

Teacher leaders

Hi dear friends, 
Will you tell me some ideas about what teachers leaders do to promote learning in their schools?
Thanks 

15 Mar 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi! This is what they did in my last school.

1) Have a Word of the week that every teacher had to bring into their lesson.
2)  Every lesson had to follow a plan, which was set out for the students at the beginning. LEARN: (the aim), DO (method/steps the teacher would take) CHECK (plenary). This had to be written in detail and left in view during the lesson.
3) Every teacher had to mark in the same way. We used PINS (Praise, Improve, Next steps). It was hard to always mark like this. Some of the young teachers ended up writing more in feedback than what the student had actually written. 
4) Learning Walks. Senior leaders would wander in and out of lessons at will.
5) Departmental reviews. Every month, they inspected a department. They interviewed the Head of department (Team Leader), observed every member of the dept and looked at the books.
6) Open Week. Twice every term, everyone had to write lesson plans for every lesson and you could be observed at any time.  This was incredibly onerous and we all rebelled in the end.
7) Frequent INSET on various issues, e.g. improving boys� literacy.
8) Share best practice. Every Wednesday morning, some poor teacher would have to deliver a 5 to ten minute talk to the whole staff on something that had worked well for them or a tip they wanted to share. This would have been good once a term, but every week... Too much.
9) Scrutinies! Various things would be scrutinised. The big one was marking scrutiny. Sets of exercise books would be checked to make sure we all followed the marking policy.  

Then we had an Ofsted inspection and failed horribly. The school was closed. The problem was that while the leaders used all these sticks to beat the teachers, the kids were running wild. What the school needed was a proper code of discipline.

Happy days! 

Lynne Blackburn  

16 Mar 2019     

aee.aee
Slovenia

Dear Lynne, 

my deepest respect for your post. I couldn�t agree more with your words. 
We have to set the proper code of behaviour and give students the suitable environment for learning. 
However, we cannot blame the teachers and punish them if students don�t do their share of the work. 
Let�s be honest, teachers are just one cornerstone of successful learning, the others are students, parents and school management. Sometimes a teacher can make a big difference, but at other times there is very little he or she can do.  

Mattea 

17 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

I agree with Lynne. I gave up teaching at one school for the same reason, teachers had to deal with so many layers of constraints that teachers could not be "teachers". It seemed to be that the most important thing was for superiors to have things writen, no matter if children were managed or not, as far as the agenda and many premises were set up on papers.
However, teachers could not and cannot scape from these kind of self-discipline, as we are just so, "teachers". I believe we are more than that, we have the basis to work with many different children, they all have individual needs, as they are not the same, agedas and plans to follow should not be the same. And too much efford on those futile things (not all, but many) implies less efford on what it is really important, each of the students, all of them different... And teachers are the last link, therefore the most significant. We treat straight and directly with them...

17 Mar 2019     

rogerbrann
United States

A leader should be a role model for his or her followers. Each and every time he/she used to inspire for doing better, set an example of goodness and lots more. But when it comes to being a teacher and we have to play as a leader, then we need to put some extra efforts. So that students are following our guidelines and techniques to learn better. I�m an End-user Support Technician and in my working experience, I used to set examples for my juniors and followers with my right work. But as a teacher, we have to serve more for producing better outcomes.

25 Apr 2019     

Aaradhya
United States

WebUpdatesDaily at the resource where one of updates and news about Trends, Robotic Process Automation, RPA, AI , AI, Machine Learning, ML, Deep Learning, DL, Gadgets. News that has incredible intrigue and significance for global readers, which has been published after a radical research. 

19 Jun 2020     

georgepalm
United Kingdom

Explore the life with Style and happiness; we Lifestylexplore shares the trending updates of Fashion, Health, Fitness, Beauty, Travel, and all other lifestyle things.

23 Jan 2021     

scofieldmichael
United States

Some entertainment, such as public executions, are now illegal in most countries. Activities such as fencing or archery, once used in hunting or war, have become spectator sports. In the same way, other activities, such as cooking, have developed Movierulz.VPN into performances among professionals, staged as global competitions and then broadcast for entertainment. What is entertainment for one group or individual may be regarded as work or an act of cruelty by another. The familiar forms of entertainment have the capacity to cross over different media and have demonstrated a seemingly unlimited potential for creative remix. This has ensured the continuity and longevity of many movierulz.com themes, images, and structures Entertainment can be distinguished from other activities such as education and marketing even though they have learned how to use the appeal of entertainment to achieve their different goals. Sometimes entertainment can be a mixture for both..

17 Apr 2021     

chrisandrew
Canada

The pace of technological uwatchfree progress especially information technology speeds up exponentially over time because there is a common force driving it forward.

6 Jul 2021     

smith8395john
United States

Thanks for sharing this great article. Hi, I am John Smith, I am working as a technical manager at email support. I have 3 years of experience in this field. If you have any problems related to the a href="https://www.emailsupport.us/blog/centurylink-email-settings-for-iphone-android-outlook/"Centurylink email settings/a, then please contact us for help related to email problems.

7 Aug 2021     

tomhenry
Canada

These five key components Data Servers of business operations show just how wide-ranging and also essential the field of business operations is to a business.

1 Nov 2021     

1    2    Next >