Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

araveg
Spain

help

Hi everybody

I have just two questions

1st- False friends and false cogantes are the same? Is there any slight difference. ?

Thanks in advance.

18 Mar 2019      

maryse pey�
France

Please erase the post in Spanish. Here it is only in English. If ever you need to write something in Spanish you can do it on live worksheets, Victor�s other - excellent- website of sharing. Here it is exclusively English whereas the other is for every possible langugages.

Thanks for your comprehension.

18 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Well, I�ve never heard of false "cognates", but since cognates are quite the same in English like in our language, I�d say you are right, "false cognates" are "false friends".
Aisha ;) 

18 Mar 2019     

araveg
Spain

Thanks a lot

And sorry for my Spanish post. It is due a problem on my computer. I wrote it in English.

Nice day 

19 Mar 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Some false friends can be true cognates, so, no, they�re not the same. A cognate is a word in one language which is derived from the same source as a word in another (actual in English and actuel in French, for example, are false friends but genuine cognates). False cognates may look similar but have different etymologies entirely.

19 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

OH!! Thanks so much almaz, I didn�t know cognates had an etymologic root in common!!
Aisha ;) 

19 Mar 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thanks Almaz. I always thought they were synonyms. I found this breakdown, as well. Is it accurate? https://linguistics.stackexchange.com/questions/2612/whats-the-difference-between-a-false-cognate-and-a-false-friend

19 Mar 2019