Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > relative pronouns    

relative pronouns

tommy1996
Vietnam

relative pronouns

Please tell me what relative pronouns do we have to use here?

The Irish people ______ I met were friendly and have great sense of humor.

Thanks

29 Mar 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would definitely leave one out altogether. If you do add one, then �that� or �who�. In theory, it should be �whom� not �who�, but nobody uses that any more. You would sound like a text book. 

29 Mar 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Who, that and zero (no relativizer) are fine. Whom is grammatical, but rather stuffy in conversation.

29 Mar 2019     

valodra
France

That�s interesting from native speakers, because I �ve learnt the following :
- Who when the pronoun is subject : The Irish people who were friendly…...
- zero when object : The Irish people I met …… ( but not : The Irish people who I met …)
Could that be wrong ?
Val 

29 Mar 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Val, I don�t know, I�m not good on grammar. However, I agree with you, from my point of view as a native speaker, simply because it sounds odd and I would suggest no relative pronoun, or relativizer (like it!) there. 
Lynne 

29 Mar 2019     

valodra
France

Thx Lynne ! I - too - would use no relative pronoun here...
BUT 1/ I�ve learnt a new word : "relativizer". 2/ Have decided NOT to teach "whom" to my kids anymore.
Your posts ( Dear Native speakers ) are ( edit :) INvaluable ! And I warmly thank you. The languages taught in books are not always the languages people actually speak ( ex : whom )
Gee! this site is SO great ! ;-))
Have a great week end,
Val 

29 Mar 2019     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Val.
I hope you mean "invaluable" (not able to be valued), rather than "unvaluable" (having no value).

Bruce 

29 Mar 2019     

valodra
France

Jesus ! Thank you Bruce and Mary ;-)) Sooo sorry about that :-S. I�ve just corrected it :-)
Val 

30 Mar 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Would it be racist of me  to say that I agree with the original statement? Irish people always seem witty, full of fun and likeable and I love the accent. Although - I haven�t actually been to Ireland. I always go to Scotland. 
Lynne  

30 Mar 2019     

valodra
France

Well, dear Lynne,
You really should go there ;-) It�s the most beautiful country , wonderful people ! ( Am I overdoing it ?? ) I�ve been there 4 times ...and plan to go back - again & again :-)))  
( Loved your comment about teachers leaving the room - and being sacked !! )
Have a great weekend,
Val 

30 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Oh Lynne, I�ve been myself in Ireland for two years, it was there where I learnt my English. It�s people, views, live music, sheep, castles, cottages, cliffs... are wondeerful. Sometimes you feel like in a fairy tale. I am in LOVE with this country, I really mean it. I was really wellcomed there and I felt like in my own country...
I have regretted all my life to have come back to Spain, but now everything is different, I have my house, my family, but I feel I have to go back there as soon as possible with all my family, so they have the pleasure to enjoy Eyre. 
As Val, I recommend everyone to visit this country at least once in life...
Have a great Sunday!
Aisha ;) 

31 Mar 2019