Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Ideas to practise, consolidate Simple Past, regular verbs with young learners (4th graders)    

Ideas to practise, consolidate Simple Past, regular verbs with young learners (4th graders)

vanyiimo
Romania

Ideas to practise, consolidate Simple Past, regular verbs with young learners (4th graders)

Hello Everyone!
I would like you to help me with ideas, tips, materials to  consolidate the regular simple past. I would be very happy. Thank you in advance!

29 Mar 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Young learners? That�s not my thing, but I can�t resist a go! With mine (secondary students) I have them doing things and then reporting on it, so it might be suitable for youngsters.
Some regular verbs to use: walk, turn, lift, look, jump, climb, water... Well, there�s plenty....

Teacher: Jim, water the plant. (Jim waters, or pretends to water - you can do charades - the plant). What did Jim do? Jim/He watered the plant. Then ask members of the class: So, what did Jim do? They can all repeat/answer. Then they can do it in silly voices. Repetition, repetition... 

Samantha, walk to the window (same exercise)  
Then, have different pupils doing different things and reporting back: I turned the light on! I looked out of the window. 

Next, they do 3 consecutive actions and in the recount, have to remember them in the right order. Or other pupils have to watch the pupil doing the 3 actions, and report back: He/She opened the book, climbed on the chair, jumped off the chair.

This leads on to Charades. Give them action cards, they mime the actions and the rest of the class have to guess the answer to the question: what did he do? 

Is this suitable for little�uns? I only ever taught youngsters for one day. We�ll say no more about that.  

Hope you get some more suggestions!

Lynne  

29 Mar 2019     

valodra
France

Hello,
I love Lynne�s idea of reporting back ; I often do the same ;-) But as the "information gap" is needed ( : That�s what we call it in France ;-))) , I usually leave the room, and ask the kids : All right ….What did he/she do while I was away ? …;-)))

Another great thing to do is working on detective stories ( depending on your students� level ) : A crime /…. was committed.
Tell us about what MR So-and-so did that evening. If interested, you�ll find zillions of ws here, dealing with crime or detective stories. Imagine you�re the detective /police man/woman :
- What did you do yesterday at ….o�clock ?
- Where were you ? Who with ? etc....

I had a class investigate on a mystery : our school librarian had disappeared!! The children had to investigate, and follow clues...asking people where they were, and what they did ...It was great fun! My colleague ( librarian teacher ) even put tomato sauce on her face !!
There are so many activities to do ; maybe you could check this site : search documents with Simple past ;-)))

Hope this helps,
Val 

29 Mar 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is what would happen in England.

Teacher: OK kids, what happened while I was out of the room?

Kids: You got sacked for leaving the room.   

29 Mar 2019     

vanyiimo
Romania

Many thanks for your help and great ideas!

29 Mar 2019     

karagozian
France

Sent you a pm.

30 Mar 2019