Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Choose the Adjective    

Choose the Adjective

nhatminh0904
Vietnam

Choose the Adjective

Please tell me What word is right: She had a toothache.She was unpleased/ unpleasant Thanks

4 Apr 2019      

douglas
United States

She was not pleased.

It was unpleasant.

4 Apr 2019     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

displeased is a word.. I�ve never heard unpleased.. I�d say they are both wrong! 

4 Apr 2019     

douglas
United States

I agree Rabbit

4 Apr 2019     

L. habach
Morocco

"unpleasant" exists in the Cambridge dictionary.

4 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Unpleased seems to be a british word. Under my point of view, this one is correct...

4 Apr 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

FWIW, the earliest citation in the OED for unpleased is from a religious tract of 1475, while the most recent is from the Hindustani Times (2013). More pertinently, though, the dictionary editors give it a very low frequency score of 2 (words which "are almost exclusively ... not part of normal discourse and would be unknown to most people").

5 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

So, better not to use it then! Thanks so much Almaz! 
Have a great weekend!
Aisha ;) 
EDIT:
I have seen many news where they use the word (nowadays news):

Well, there are many more from magazines that I don�t know if they are reliable, but these papers are important and representative in the UK and, as I said, are related to current events...

I wonder if this type of "unusual words in common speech" are more used or common in cultured language... Could someone clear that up for me, please? Thanks in advance! :)

5 Apr 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

It has nothing to do with "cultured" language (whatever that�s supposed to mean � considering that the only culture the Daily Express espouses is one of Little Englander bigotry and racism). It�s simply much less common than �displeased� in any register.

5 Apr 2019     

spradley03
United States

My mother was unpleased (archaic English - we never use this anymore) with my actions. My mother was displeased with my actions. (this is moreso used instead of unpleased) I had a unpleasant toothache, I was in pain. (adjective here) I would never say I was unpleasant - unless I was being rude.

5 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Fair enough!
Btw, Almaz, when I was saying "cultured language" I wasn�t talking or thinking about ideologies at all. I don�t know what that newspaper promotes. I wanted to mean a language used in "newspapers", "news media", "conferences", "lectures" and so on.... At least in Spanish there are levels of language (slang, colloquial and cultured) and it is even studied. What I wanted to know was if in English language would happen the same. Thanks so much for the responses and for taking your time to answer my doubts. 

5 Apr 2019     

1    2    Next >