Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Impersonal passive constructions    

Impersonal passive constructions

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Impersonal passive constructions

Dear colleagues and grammar experts!
I need your help in understanding the rules of sequence of tenses in impersonal reporting structures. I’ll provide you with examples:

They have claimed that the building has fallen down.

So, according to the answer keys in the Workbook Gateway B2+ by Macmillan Education, you can paraphrase it in 2 ways:

It has been claimed that the building has fallen down.
The building is claimed to have fallen down.

My question is: Why not “The building has been claimed to have fallen down”? Why is Present Perfect in the main clause changes into Present Simple?

Another example that I�m not sure about:

They reported that the flat has damp floors.

The paraphrased sentence is: The flat is reported to have damp floors.
Why not “The flat was reported to have damp floors”?

I would be greatful for any ideas on how I could explain this to my students. Also, I would appreciate any reference books where I could read about these rules.

8 Apr 2019      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Katia,
First, I hope your students are high intermediate at least, to be learning this construction, because it isn�t very basic,

I would say that your answers are better, as far as transforming the original to passive. The reason for the book�s answers is that we have a standard form for passive constructions involving believed, thought, said, claimed, reported, etc. In addition, the two forms have a difference in meaning, which is what makes your answers better.

"The flat is reported to have damp floors" is a statement about a known or suspected situation in the flat. It isn�t talking about an incident of reporting the floors, but about a reputation.

"The flat was reported to have damp floors" is saying that there was an incident in which the damp floors were reported. Whether a reputation developed from that is uncertain, and not implied. 

The same applies to the other sentence. "The building is claimed to have fallen down" tells us that that is the rumor in the neighborhood. "The building has been claimed to have fallen down" is again talking about an incident of making that claim.

I hope this helps.

Bruce 

8 Apr 2019     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

That did help! Thank you so much, Bruce, for your time and such a detailed explanation! I really appreciate it :-)

8 Apr 2019