Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which options are correct and why ?     

Which options are correct and why ?

alexziaa
France

Which options are correct and why ?

12 Apr 2019      

yanogator
United States

1. b      That couldn�t have been the day we went to Margate because it was raining that day, not sunny.

The reasoning tells why that day was not possibly the right one, so "couldn�t have been" expresses the impossibility.

2.    Actually, none of the choices are correct. The correct option would be "have had to have". Reading this sentence repeatedly makes it even more confusing, so I re-worded it, to get "Had the electrician not come in time, we would have been forced to have last night�s party by candlelight."

The answer that is probably intended is 
c      Had the electrician not come in time, we would have had to have had last night�s party by candlelight.

a and b can�t be right, because they are in the present, and d is wrong for the same reason as c, plus the fact that there is no need for the continuous form.

3.  d      Water is a very scarce resource in the desert.

The other words don�t work in this sentence.

I hope this helps you
Bruce 

12 Apr 2019     

alexziaa
France

Thanks! 

12 Apr 2019     

kohai
Latvia

Which options are correct???

I can�t see ANY options!

14 Apr 2019     

valodra
France

Hello Kohai,
I think she deleted her message because it was reported as spam�? ( I think it was not�. � )

14 Apr 2019     

kohai
Latvia

And I think that someone reported her post because it was empty.

I also think that it was not nice of her to delete the questions that were already answered by one of our experts. 

14 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I was wondering about this, as I couldn�t see any options and was beginning to wonder whether, besides being one of our experts, Bruce was also clairvoyant.

14 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

Yes, there was a nice full question there, and I guess my answers were so powerful that they not only removed all doubt, but also removed the entire question!

14 Apr 2019     

cyberopslabs
Albania

Cyberops Labs is one of the World�s leading organization in Information Security Cyber Security company in South Africa. As one of the India�s leading organizations in Information Security, Cyberops have been successful in offering its customers the required products and services over the years. We now aim to expand our spheres globally and out first step towards it being South Africa. Cyberops Labs will now expand in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. The risk of a proliferate exposure to Cyber Attacks have increased with the ongoing technological advancements and developments in the industry. It has, thus, become quite important to shield the cyberspace and the company aims to efficiently work towards the same. Furthermore, we also levitate to influence our proficiency at a global stage in the field of information security and cyber-crime investigation. VAPT and VAPT in India. For more information visit us - https://cyberopslabs.com/

15 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

and now an ad comes in!

15 Apr 2019