Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > If second conditional    

If second conditional

Mohamed Hamed
Egypt

If second conditional

Which one is correct?

Can a student say, "If I were a dentist, I would advise people to brush their teeth," or should the student use first conditional if?

I was told that it is not an imaginary situation as students can be dentists in the future.

Thanks in advance. 

16 Apr 2019      

Aisha77
Spain

I believe you were told wrong then, and under my point of view, there is no point to use the first conditional here...
You made it perfect as it is a sentence based on your imagination.
You could use the first conditional by saying "If I become a dentist I will advise (recommend) people to brush their teeth" as here you are quite certain or at least you believe it is possible for you to become a dentist one day (probably cause you are studying to graduate one day)
I hope this could help you
Aisha ;) 

16 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

Aisha is correct. The second conditional isn�t for things that can�t happen; it is for things that aren�t currently true. In fact, I would say that it is usually used for situations that could happen.

If I were rich, I would make large donations to charity.

If my students studied harder, they would have better grades.

Bruce 

16 Apr 2019     

Mohamed Hamed
Egypt

Thanks a million

18 Apr 2019