Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word Of the Day Contest 18th APRIL    

Word Of the Day Contest 18th APRIL

Aisha77
Spain

Word Of the Day Contest 18th APRIL

Woo! Thanks, Douglas, it�s been a pleasure to have contributed to creating another dimension of the word LOLLYGAG!
Once more here, MG! 
I have chosen for this week a really nice word:
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia 
EHHEHEHHEH! LOLYGAGS!!
I LOVE THIS WORD SO SO MUCH!!
So, here you have it. Let�s start with your funniest and fanciest meanings ever!
And, like Douglas, I wish you as well a happy Easter, Passover or weekend (for those like me who don�t celebrate it) 
Aisha ;) 

18 Apr 2019      

maryse pey�
France

Hippo hippo hurray to the monstruous mosquito ! QUID ??? A pet for the people who have the phobia of the dalhia !

18 Apr 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A magic word like abracadabra, hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, is said to transform a prince into a frog.

18 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is a well known phobia, actually. It is the fear of a huge (monstrose) hippopotamus on a pedalo. One look at the hippo on the pedalo and your heart goes into cardiac arrest. It is a rare sight, happily, for hippopotomonstrosequipedaliohpbia sufferers. So rare, I couldn�t even find a proper picture of one (so the internet isn�t all it�s cracked up to be), so I will make do with this toy.

Hippo on a pedalo . Oh it�s playing silly beggers, I�ll upload it later. 

18 Apr 2019     

glutenfree
Poland

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is a fundraising project. For as little as $50 a year you can adopt a hippo, for yourself or as a gift. Then you get a printable certificate of adoption. Your donation will help any hippos in need, in particular, orphans with a phobia of having many adoptive parents.

18 Apr 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, far be it for me to split hairs but I have to take issue with the previous definitions. The real meaning of hippopotomonstrosequipeddaliophobia has nothing to do with hippos or even animals. It isn�t even a phobia. It is, in fact, an onomatopoeia. It is the sound that one makes when falling down the stairs while carrying a trayful of crockery.
e.g. "Lord Emsworth lept from his bed, wrenched from a deep sleep by the unmistakable sound  of  hippopotomonstrosequipeddaliophobia as his butler, Beach, took a tumble down the stairs while on his way to the kitchen with the remains of breakfast."

18 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

It doesn�t look so scary!

18 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Aisha, you clearly haven�t got hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia 

19 Apr 2019     

douglas
United States

The fear of zombie (monsters) hippos on bicycles.

23 Apr 2019