Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading comprehension    

Reading comprehension

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Reading comprehension

Dear colleagues,

I would like to hear your opinion about the following example from a reading exercise:

"...The government would simply give up on ensuring all our children can read and write by the age 11..." (Statement from a text.)

Is the statement True or False:

It is believed that most children won�t be able to read and write when they are 11.    T / F

What would you do if you had such an example in your test?

Many thanks. 

25 Apr 2019      

kohai
Latvia

I would answer "False".

25 Apr 2019     

L. habach
Morocco

I agree with Kohai, it�s false

25 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

False

25 Apr 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It is false because the first sentence is talking about the government,�s lack of action but says nothing about the number of children that will be affected. Maybe the government does not need to insure it because most children can or will read by age 11.

25 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I was waiting for the �if� clause.... 

25 Apr 2019     

douglas
United States

My take:

False because they used "would" (2nd conditional=probably not true or not going to happen)

26 Apr 2019     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

So you all agree it is false. Unfortunately, students think it is true. Maybe we should avoid such statements next time. 

Thanks.

26 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

Zvonka,
This is the kind of question that is used for native speakers, too, in testing reading comprehension, and many native speakers miss it, also. So, for advanced students, I would keep the question, but not below that level.

Bruce 

26 Apr 2019