Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Nice little article from TES    

Nice little article from TES

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Nice little article from TES

Here�s a couple of articles on how to get silence in class. What worked - for a while - for me, was raising my hand and they all had to raise theirs.  There was often disapproval of the last pupil to raise their hand! 

Lynne  

28 Apr 2019      

valodra
France

Hello Lynne,
I�ve been a tutor for young teachers for years, and this is the biggest problem of all !
I teach in a junior high school ( pupils aged 11 to 15 ) , and I think I can say this school is quite "difficult" ( = poor area , families with loads of problems ; many pupils living with forster families because Dad is in  prison - or else ...These kinds of schools are called REP in France ..)
When there is too much noise , what works best for me is the following : I do not say a word ; I draw two columns with smileys  on the board : one with a  happy face , the other one with an angry face. The kids get the meaning at once ;-). If one behaves, I�ll write his/her name in the "happy" face column. On the contrary, if I write a name in the "angry face" column, one easily understands he/she�ll get into trouble. That�s what I�ve learned ( I�ve been teaching for so many years ;-)) : Do not add noise to noise. 
Have a nice weekend,
Val 

28 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Val,
Thanks for contributing your excellent system. I soooo agree! When I was doing my teacher training, shortly before the Punic Wars , an old hand gave me some excellent advice: Noisy teachers make noisy classes. 
Lynne  

28 Apr 2019     

karagozian
France

What strangely worked with me is taking every now and then some time to write a text on the blackboard. They would then immediately take their notebook and copy. They had the strange that something that appears on the blackboard is IMPORTANT. Tbis gave me some time to breathe freely.

28 Apr 2019     

jfaraujo
Portugal

I do exactly the same thing Val does and it works really well. 
It draws students� attention to their own behaviour and on how they can improve it. 

28 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Hi!
I�ve always done what Val says and it does work, right away. I have never written smilies, but I shut up and do not say a word, and they all seem not to feel comfortable with the teacher staring at them with her arms crossed and in complete silence. They know things are getting weird immediately...
Aisha ;) 

29 Apr 2019