Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Query about the rules    

Query about the rules

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Query about the rules

Hi. I have a genuine query about the uploading rules. Wss are being reported for not including relevant texts or a link to the listening tape necessary for the exercise; fair enough. However, wss with supplementary activities for ESL text books, and other texts (novels etc) are also being reported, even when they quote the page number or chapter they are intended to support. I can�t find this anywhere in the rules. 
 There is a rule that we can�t include excerpts or pictures from ESL text books in our wss, as it wouldn�t be fair, and I get that. You can�t claim copyright over an actual text or picture someone else has produced and if you do include the text or picture, then people don�t have to buy the book, so that is plain wrong! But why can�t we upload supplementary exercises, and give the link to the page number and the text? That wouldn�t upset the publishers in any way, probably the opposite! I used to teach from �Project� and I would have appreciated extra exercises around the texts. 
Does this rule exist somewhere, or have I misinterpreted the actual rules? I mean, not all wss are relevant to everybody, and if you don�t use that particular text, or teach that particular novel or whatever, just don�t download it, but why deprive others? Can anyone clarify?
Have a good day everyone!

Lynne  

30 Apr 2019      

FrauSue
France

I think that it should be fine to upload supplementary exercises for a textbook or novel, as long as the description makes it clear which pages of which book are required. Then, as you say, no-one will download the worksheet unnecessarily.

30 Apr 2019     

s.lefevre
Brazil

In my opinion a worksheet is only useful if the text it depends on is available for everyone. The page number is not enough as not all the teachers use the same book. I have reported some worksheets that bring only questions about a text from a textbook, but without the text. It might be useful for some teachers, but not for all. In my opinion it is the same problem as when teachers put the directions in an other language. It is also useful for some teachers, but not for all.

30 Apr 2019     

yanogator
United States

But it isn�t the intention of the site for every worksheet to be useful for everyone, so I disagree with your reasoning. Teachers choose the materials that are useful for them.

Bruce 

30 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with the Frau and Bruce. For example, we don�t all teach Romeo and Juliet, but we have resources available. (Silvia, I was not referring to your reporting or any other individual, btw, I�m sure you know that!). It�s just that there is a consensus among moderators to report and remove such wss and I can�t see why. 

The fact is, as the rules stand, wss as I have described them are permitted and rightly so, imho.

Lynne  

30 Apr 2019     

FrauSue
France

Silvia, there are lots of worksheets based on films (movies) which require teachers to purchase a copy of the film for their lessons. I don�t see any difference between that and uploading questions based on a textbook.

30 Apr 2019     

victor
Spain

Hello,

I also agree with Lynne, Frau and Bruce. Even if the worksheet is not useful for everyone, it can be useful for someone, so I don�t think we should remove it. Teachers can choose to download it or not.
I think this case is not the same as the worksheets with instructions in other languages, because in that case the author can translate into English and make it useful for everyone. In this case it�s not possible to add the text, because it would be a copyright infringement. 

30 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Yes, Lynne I agree with you, Bruce and Frau Sue, I realized also they were reported and did not understand why, and I got a bit dissapointed, that is why I wasn�t here last days...
Aisha ;) 

30 Apr 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

What about fair use? Is it possible to use short texts legally as fair use? If so, couldn�t we quote the short text in the worksheet in order to refer to it when we create supplementary exercises?

30 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Victor, for this clarification, and also for your hard work in providing us with this great site. We love eslprintables.
Interesting question, Mary. This area is a minefield! My take is that the ethics on here preclude us from quoting parts of texts from ESL course books, even if it was legal... I sometimes adapt and shorten texts from various sources, with reference to the original and that should be OK ...
Aisha, I missed you!

Lynne 

Edit: Let�s remember the moderators on here do an excellent job! 

1 May 2019     

FrauSue
France

Thank you, Victor, for your explanation.

As far as �Fair Use� goes, I think it is a risky minefield. I know that we are all on here not-for-profit, and for educational purposes, but I feel it is unfair to copy and provide copyrighted materials free of charge to someone else via this website. You would not be using the copyrighted material for purposes of �analysis or commentary� (which I think is the main purpose of the fair use rule) but rather as a stand-alone educational resource.

And Lynne is right - the moderators here work hard, thank you! 

2 May 2019     

1    2    Next >