Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD competition winner    

WOD competition winner

cunliffe
United Kingdom

WOD competition winner

Hello my luvs/chucks/hinnies/darlin�s,
So (everybody starts their sentences with �so� nowadays - it�s driving me crazy!!!), I liked all your entries. It came down to two: glutenfree or silvialefevre. So, as we know, there can only be one winner.... Silvia! I loved her daffynition, which had woofits as wow outfits!!! I haven�t got so many wowoutfits or woofits, but I have  got wow shoes. I might upload a picture of them onto the teachers� café. I am definitely the Imelda Marcos of this site. I�d place any money on it.
So, over to you, Silvia! 
I�m sorry, I can�t remember the real definition, but I did include a link. I�ll have a look. By the way, I mentioned I was going to choose �sitooterie�. That is a nice place where Scottish people can sit outside;-)))

Lynne  

5 May 2019      

spinney
United Kingdom

Good choice! Congratulations Sylvie! Clap 
By the way, I SO agree with you!  I don�t know why but that really gets my back up. And it�s relatively recent, too. It doesn�t matter if it�s some expert on TV talking about the economy, a politician, an actor, artist or a partridge in a pear tree. They all have this annoying habit of starting off with "so" which I always thought we did in response to a specific question requiring an explanation but using "well" instead. I wonder who started it all? 

5 May 2019     

yanogator
United States

Spinney,
In the US, it�s even worse. They start with "I mean..."!

Bruce 

5 May 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting article from 2010 (in The New York Times incidentally) here on initial �so�, and another look at it here in terms of the �recency illusion� (the idea that because you�ve only recently become aware of a particular usage, then it must be of recent origin). Both articles mention the verse from Chaucer�s Troilus and Criseyde:

So on a day he leyde him doun to slepe,
And so bifel that in his sleep him thoughte,
That in a forest faste he welk to wepe 
For love of hir that him these peynes wroughte; 

6 May 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Rather interesting, as it goes. Mind you, I�m not sure if Chaucer was the best example. Clearly, the guy couldn�t spell to save his life. 

6 May 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

And let�s not forget his crap syntax 

7 May 2019     

MoodyMoody
United States

almaz, I saw just your comment about "crap syntax" on the forum before reading the whole thread, and I at first thought you referred to "esteemed" US President Donald Trump! I am relieved to see Chaucer instead! I like Chaucer!

9 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

So I�m afraid this usage IS a recent thing in everyday life, although its usage in story-telling goes way back. So Chaucer is innocent. I�m not sure about Donald Trump in this particular matter...

10 May 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, you�re almost right. But as the linguist Mark Liberman observed (second link above), incipient so isn�t half as recent as people think. And talking of the Great Goblin, you might say its recent usage isn�t exactly "unpresidented" 

11 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Very clever! I�ll have a look at the links. Annoyingly, I�m starting all my sentences with �So,� and it used to be �Well,�  So, what will it be next? @Bruce, We had I mean ages ago!

11 May 2019