Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

s.lefevre
Brazil

WOD

Lynne has chosen me as the winner. As it is the first time I have participated, I am really honoured. The new word for you is 
KERFUFFLE. Have fun. 

6 May 2019      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"KERFUFFLE" is one of those wonderful words that is the love-child of two words ... but no-one knows exactly which two.
Perhaps they are the Anglo-Saxon �Fluff-reek�; the Gaelic Kreulflaigh; or even the German Reichfleuk.
But, we of the Old Dravidian Druid Investigative Temple Institute of English Studies, (ODDITIES), know better.
For this reason, we study, in detail, the origins of out-of-date words.
Some people refer to our Members as old �Facts Are Really Totally Serious!�.
Let them scoff!
When you stick your nose into a woolly sweater, or a fur coat, or a thick, hairy scarf, and �snuffle in�, you can smell the animal warmth.

That is KERFUFFLE.

Les Douglas 

6 May 2019     

maryse pey�
France

For once Les is not completely aware of another meaning of KERFUFFLE.

KER is for kerfew

FUF is for furiously furious fury

FLE is the end of riffle

That is why this word means : BE CAREFUL OF THE KERFEW OF THE FURIOUSLY FURIOUS FURY OF THE OBSTRUCTED RIFFLE SHOOTING NON STOPPINGLY SINCE THE KERFEW !

6 May 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Maryse peye:

I wonder at your wow-factor words!

I reel from your Rumpelstiltskian revels! 

I am astonished at your admirable alliteration!

Unfortunately, during my life, I have been 

KKUT with a KNKNIFE!

I have been

STSTUNNED with a STSTEN-GGUN!

And I have been TRTROUNCED with a TRTRUNCHEON.

But, I have NEVER been faced with a dangerous RIFFLE ... except in a card-game.

Thank you.

"The curfew tolls the knell of parting day," 
Thomas Gray

Les Douglas

6 May 2019     

karagozian
France

Simply a french student trying to say "carefully ".

6 May 2019     

Cariboo
France

An hilarious sketch by David Walliams in "Little Britain" ....a must to see.

Just sayin� ...

6 May 2019     

valodra
France

@Monique /Karagozian : Yes ! You are Absolutely right ! Thay�s what my students say ! Just trying to say it .." with a French accent " is sooooooo funny !
Val 
edit : sorry, no better definition to suggest : Monique�s one  is still making me laugh�;-)

6 May 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Les,

Here is a female riffle and you perfectly know, don�t you, how furious and dangerous female can be...  particularly after the kerfew Kermit the frog has declared ;) 

6 May 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Kerfuffle can also mean the method for curing a headache. You fluff your pillow, rest your aching on it and soon the cure happens.

7 May 2019     

karagozian
France

That reminds me od a silly story that happened to one of our dearest fiends here on the site. She is a catlover like many here. She has many, ......loads of cats. She is like that woman in "a lamp in a window by Truman Capote". Though she doesn�t toss het cats in a freezer. Now, the other day she took her favourite cat, named FLUFFY on a ski holiday. Fluffy was not allowed to go outside. It was much too dangerous and cold. It had been snowing packs of snow all night. But Fluffy escaped and danced in the snow now waving to the neighbours cat over a huge wall of snow. Now Sylvie got back from a very festive outing. Had been eatimg and particularly drinking more than necessary . She could hardly talk and at this sight got in a catomanic hysterical state trying desperately to ordrer the cat Fluffy to come inside. Shw wanted to shout something like "take care Fluffy" but the only thing she could utter was a clumsy but loud "kerf-f-fuf-f-fel"

PS : ticked this in on my not very "smart" phone from a fishing ship on the Atlantic Ocean. So, sorry for the "bugs or blunders".

7 May 2019     

spied-d-aignel
France

Moniiiiiiiiiiiique ; I think YOUUUUUUU have drunk far too much  during your festive outing on the Atlantic Ocean and this is why !!
So kerfuffle yourself!!!!

8 May 2019     

1    2    Next >