Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me    

Please help me

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Please help me

Hi everybody, Please help me withi this. What is the difference between " because of" and " Owing to"?. In a cloze test, to fill in the blank in the sentence "Children progress rapidly in their early tears and lots of changes are expected in a year or even a month�s time. ....this, even experts may find difficult to make a firm diagnosis based on a young child�s conditions." The answers given are: A. In spite of B. As for C. Because of D. Owing to The correct answer is "Because of" Please tell me the reason why we choose "Because of" instead of "Owing to" Thank you in advance. Qui L

21 May 2019      

redcamarocruiser
United States

They both sound fine to me. "Owing to" sounds more formal. "Because of" sounds more usual. I do not know if there is a rule that "owing to" is followed by a noun or noun phrase instead of a pronoun, but "because of this" sounds complete. Whereas "owing to" would sound better to me, if we added something like: "owing to these circumstances..." Edit: https://www.thestar.com.my/data/archives/2013/07/05/07/57/due-to-and-owing-to-debate/ mentions that they are interchangeable in modern usage according to Michael Swan�s Practical English Usage.

21 May 2019     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Thank you so much. Qui

21 May 2019