Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > word form    

word form

tommy1996
Vietnam

word form

tell me what is right, please
Mary looks ________ about something. She looks _______ at everything. (worry)
thanks in advance 

25 May 2019      

Remarkable
Turkey

Both should be "worried" I guess

25 May 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Tommy:

MARY LOOKS WORRIED ABOUT SOMETHING.
SHE LOOKS WORRYINGLY AT EVERYTHING.

Les Douglas 

25 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or �worriedly� for the second one.  I would say that worryingly is your reaction to how she looks at things...

26 May 2019     

tommy1996
Vietnam

So i also wonder if I have to use worriedly or worryingly for the second one Who cal explain to me.thanks

26 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Tommy. It�s not a word in regular use; most people would say �anxiously� or �nervously�. Maybe that is why I can�t seem to find any links which would explain this. However, I would use �worriedly� here, if that is your choice, not �worryingly�. The explanation is that it is the adverb from �worried� that is, she is looking at everything in a worried fashion. �Worryingly� means that it is going to cause worry. Here are a few examples.
She looks worryingly thin. I am looking worriedly at the political situation. 
Maybe you�ll get some further clarification from others. 

26 May 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne is correct! 

2) WORRIEDLY

Sorry! I was half-asleep.

Thank you, Lynne!.

Les Douglas 

26 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No worries, Les! I am sending you a lovely milky coffee; sadly you�ll just have to imagine it! If only I could post pictures on this blinking new computer:( I haven�t made a single worksheet since I got it, either.  I hope people aren�t feeling this loss too keenly. 
Lynne  

26 May 2019     

karagozian
France

Oh !!! Dear Lynne I was wondering what was going on with you. I thought, either she must be cruising around the world or having fantastic sunny summer weather. I feel so sorry for you. I know what it is to be and feel nincompooped !!! Luv Ya !!

27 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I�m about to try uploading a worksheet, just a plain simple thing after a mega-struggle... Hope I will be successful but I�m probably going to be nincompooped. :(( Hope this doesn�t count as advertising my ws ha ha! Actually, it�s excellent! 

My travels resume next week. Off to Malta. You and I lead the life of Riley, eh Monique? I�m coming to France and Spain soon. 

27 May 2019