Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Persons or People?    

Persons or People?

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Persons or People?

Dear ESL users,

This may be a stupid question but it �s something nI �ve been recently confronted with. I have always told my students that the plural of person is people, but, however, there are some cases when we can say persons. Does anyone know WHEN exactly we can say persons and not people? Thanks a lot!

12 Mar 2009      

ameliarator
United States

Hi!
This is one of the many annoying little things about English. �"Persons" is a very formal term, mostly used in legal situations such as "The Persons with Disabilities Act." �So you are both right that it should be avoided in general speech.
Hope this helps!

12 Mar 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Thank you. I also say people all the time. But, for example, I �ve already heard some of my coleagues saying "persons" when they talk about the Personal Pronouns. Ex.: First and Second Persons singular. Confused So, I got a bit confused. 

12 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I just say FOLKS!  (just like they do in Old Virginia!!) LOL  Just kidding!

12 Mar 2009     

chorima
Spain

ARaquelSP,I am not a native....but as far as I know, the use of persons when talking about grammar (as your colleagues do) is right (it �s a linguistic term).

regards

12 Mar 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I only use �persons � when teaching grammar.

12 Mar 2009     

cgato
Portugal

Hi!

When referring to more than one person I always teach my students that they should use people!

But when listening to films or series it �s not the first time I hear persons...!

12 Mar 2009     

Giselle del Val
Argentina

I have seen PERSONS in some signs when it is about capacity, for example inside a lift. It is sth like:
                  CAPACITY: ONLY FIVE PERSONS

That�s my contribution
                                                    Giselle

13 Mar 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Thank you very much to all who helped me. Thumbs Up

13 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello ARaquelSP:

"Persons" is used in legal, regulatory and formal situations.  For example, court proceedings (5 persons of interest), police reports (5 persons were arrested), accident reports  (falling debris injured 5 persons), posted rules (maximum capacity 5 persons), etc.

"People" is used in common communications, as in counting (I see five people), descriptions (Some people entered the room), and general statements (Most people enjoy going outside in spring).

Hope this helps!

Your American friend

15 Mar 2009