Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP    

HELP

araveg
Spain

HELP

Hi everybody

Just two questions

1- In this sentence "In ten years� time you WILL HAVE LEFT university and perhaps you WILL BE LIVING in another country", could we say "perhaps YOU WILL LIVE, instead you WILL BE LIVING?

2- Change from active to passive voice "You cannot expect children to understand these problems"  It would be like this

CHILDREN CAN NOT BE EXPECTED TO UNDERSTAND THESE PROBLEMS.

But is there another way to change it to passive voice

Thanks in advance. 

11 Jun 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1. Yes, you will live is possible here, but the future progressive you will be living is becoming more and more prevalent in situations like this. It is logical, as it implies an ongoing situation.

2. Yes, that is correct. I suppose you could also have it  cannot be expected that children understand these problems. / It cannot be expected of children to understand...  

11 Jun 2019     

araveg
Spain

Thank you very much for your explanations. 

I thought the same about the first question (future question) because it is an ongoing situation, but I Wasn�t sure at all.

And thank you for your other possibilities about the passive sentence. 

11 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

These problems cannot be expected to be understood by children. We can say this, but is it the passive form of the given sentence? Yes? Jack built the house. The house was built by Jack.

11 Jun 2019