Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 17 July 2019    

WOD 17 July 2019

maryse pey�
France

WOD 17 July 2019

What a yummy surprise in my mid-holiday Douglas ! Thanks a bunch for your choosing my humble daffynition.

I hope you like my word : ASKANCE.

Here is for your imagination vivid, bright, foolish, crazy, unexpected.... and so on !

Let�s go guys with your wonderful ideas ! Make us all laugh and share a very good moment together !

ASKANCE means... 

17 Jul 2019      

spinney
United Kingdom

Ah, I know this one. It�s an old fashioned way of saying "interrogation." So, a few decades ago, it was possible to see in British newspapers the following, "The police have taken the suspect in for askance."
However, nowadays, it is more common to see, "The police have taken the suspect in for questioning."

17 Jul 2019     

karagozian
France

I�m sure I�ve got it !  This must be :

"Ask Hans" 

you know the German boy or Dutch if you prefer.

17 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Dale, I like your learned interpretation, and Monique you are right for sure, but I think it can also mean ask ants or ask aunts (American pronunciation).  It is a standard response to a difficult question and means,  "I don�t know, don�t ask me."  William have you seen my car keys? Ask ants, Dad.

17 Jul 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

ASKANCE

"Spinney" is correct when he refers to the police questioning a suspect.

But after that, he�s got it all wrong. It has everything to do with TIMING.

You will know that, when a man is in a Local Police cell, he is observed on a regualar basis, by two detectives:

"They check on him hourly!" = They look in on him every hour.
"They examine him minutely!" = They observe him every minute.
"Their eyes never leave him for a second, (or a third, or a fourth)!" = They don�t take their eyes off him for a fraction.
"They both look at him askance!" = One questions him with eager haste, staring in his eyes: the other is a man of taste, sniffing for pork pies.

There, you have your definition of ASKANCE ... "Good Guy, Bad Guy."

Les Douglas

17 Jul 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Slang for "the chance to ask" 

19 Jul 2019     

Cariboo
France

The name of a new dance  which includes a crowd surfing as a grand final.

Prayers are highly requested not to finish smashed as  "vulgar" potatoes on the floor hence the contraction of ask and (d)ance.

20 Jul 2019