Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with IELTs reading    

Help with IELTs reading

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Help with IELTs reading

Hi friends,

I am teaching at a summer school. On Tuesday, I have to present a one hour session �Beginning IELTs reading� to a class of 14 -17 year olds at level B2+ . I haven�t got a clue. Any ideas? Any suitable stuff on here, or links?

Lynne  

21 Jul 2019      

maryse pey�
France

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/reading/upper-intermediate-b2-reading

Hey Lynne, maybe some clues above ?

Have a nice Sunday.

Maryse.

21 Jul 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi Lynne!
I think I have some past exam paper books in a folder somewhere at B2 - C1 level. There is also this: Cambridge website.
If you register, you can request digital versions of their books, which they normally grant. However, there are samples on there that you can download without registering. 
Good luck!
Dale 

21 Jul 2019     

karagozian
France

Mailed you some stuff. Hope it may be useful.

21 Jul 2019     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Just Google IELTS Reading B2+  ... there are lots of free materials you can download.

22 Jul 2019     

joannajs
Poland

Honestly, it�s not the exam aimed at 14-year-olds. The content of the readings (especially at academic level) is too mature for them to be able to achieve the grade they deserve. B2+ would technically translate into 6-7, but there is also the technique of test-taking. From my experience, the reading part is very challenging for candidates from the point of view of time, some don�t manage to finish their work within the 60 minutes they have. This is an exam used as a recruitment tool by universities (academic) or for immigration purposes (general) so why should such young students even bother?
If they insist, among others, focus on exam techniques, circling/underlining things in the text, eliminating distractors to find the right answer etc. Still, in my view, First for Schools would perhaps be a much better alternative.

I�m speaking here as a very experienced examiner. 

24 Jul 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Since it was a one-off for me and I have so much else to do, I basically wanted someone on here to do it for me! Cheeky, but it worked;-) 
I did a kinaesthetic True or false as a starter, with definitions of things like scanning/skimming/paraphrase, looking for key words to indicate contrast -on the other hand - etc etc, a short youtube link on how to improve speed reading skills and then a RC sent by Monique. There were 8 students between 14 and 17 and they enjoyed it and made some very mature comments about the RC, which was a version of a short story.
@ joannajs, thanks for that information. I have looked at First for Schools and I will refer it to the organisers here.  

Thanks again, friends.

Lynne  

24 Jul 2019