Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Meaning Explanation    

Meaning Explanation

t.javanshir
Australia

Meaning Explanation

Dear friends,

Would you help me with the meaning of the highlighted part. It�s like Greek to me!

There were seven of them. Mr Caleb P. Blundell, that stout and prosperous American magnate. His dark and good-looking, if somewhat taciturn, secretary, Jim Hurst. Sir Donald Marvel, M.P., a tired-looking English politician. Doctor Carver, a world-renowned elderly archaeologist. A gallant Frenchman, Colonel Dubosc, on leave from Syria. A Mr Parker Pyne, not perhaps so plainly labeled with his profession, but breathing an atmosphere of British solidity. And lastly, there was Miss Carol Blundell - pretty, spoiled, and extremely sure of herself as the only woman among half a dozen men.

Thanks 

25 Aug 2019      

yanogator
United States

It isn�t as clear with him, as with the others, what his profession is.

"Breathing" here is totally figurative, meaning that you sense British solidity about him.

I hope this is enough.

Bruce 

26 Aug 2019     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thanks Bruce,

I need more explanation if possible. Thanks 

26 Aug 2019     

douglas
United States

It wasn�t too clear what his profession was, but he was very (stereotypical) British in his manner.

26 Aug 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The surnames of some of these people give a clue as to their profession, e.g. Carver. the archaeologist... he carves stones, although this would be more suitable for a surgeon! Marvel is a politician, maybe he tells marvellous lies? Actually, I can�t see any connection between the others� names and professions, for example, Blundell means blunt and Hurst means a hillock...(I googled those)  So, the writer�s claim that there is a  link between names and professions is tenuous, at best. 
Or maybe, the writer is not claiming that at all. He is just saying that you can�t tell it from his name, but you just need to take one look at this guy Pyne to know that he is British. We would normally say �an air of...� rather than atmosphere.

26 Aug 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I wasn�t really happy with my reply there, but I had to log off as my breakfast was ready. I�m on a diet, so I had baked cheese and egg, with tomatoes. I had both tinned (Italian, of course) tomatoes and baked fresh ones. I love tomatoes! Particularly with olive oil, a bit of Balsamic and lots of basil. Unfortunately this dish requires bread to mop up the sauce and I can�t have bread at the moment. Bread is what I miss the most; I do allow myself a bit of cake. My husband said, as he chomped his muesli, that he wished he could be on my diet! It�s not as if I�m stopping him! Now he has gone to play golf while I am back on the sofa with my laptop. 
So, not so much that he is typically British, but he has an air of British solidity.... I don�t know what this means:( Poetic or writers� licence? You get the idea...this guy is an old stick in the mud. 
Where is that passage from? 
Lynne  
Edit:
Ah...nothing to do with their names, it�s their looks, you can tell just by looking at them what their job is... Bruce had this nailed. Well done, Bruce. And Douglas. 

Now, I need to plan my lunchWink

26 Aug 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

It�s pure Agatha Christie, is what it is.
(Parker Pyne is one of Christie�s lesser-known detectives)

Incidentally, I just noticed the American spelling.

26 Aug 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

The passage is from the novel, "Parker Pyne investigates" by the author, Agatha Christie.
(CORRECTION. The passage is from a collection of short stories, "Parker Pyne investigates", by the author, Agatha Christie.) Thank you, Alex, Almaz, for pointing out this error to me. Les Douglas

As others have made clear, Parker Pyne is one of Agatha Christie�s lesser-known detective characters.

"A Mr. Parker Pyne, not perhaps so plainly labelled with his profession, but breathing an atmosphere of British solidity."

This can perhaps be re-written:

"There was another man there, Mr. Parker Pyne. But, his clothes, general appearance, and personal attitude did not send out any obvious signals regarding his work. Consequently, his profession was not easy to guess. However, he gave out the impression, (accurate or not), that he represented the British qualities of solidness, reliabilty, and dependability."

I hope that this helps.

Les Douglas

26 Aug 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

The "British solidity" recalls the elegant and refined air of the British bourgeois that know how to be in all situations and with the temperance that characterizes you all, Lynne. The English are well known for those characteristics...
Aisha  
PD: Did you enjoy your Italian tomatoes? hehe! I could be all day eating tomatoes Lynne! I do love them also! ;)

27 Aug 2019     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you all.

You are always very helpful. 

27 Aug 2019