Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffynition - 8th September 2019    

Daffynition - 8th September 2019

FrauSue
France

Daffynition - 8th September 2019

Thank you Spinney for choosing my daffynition this week!

I challenge you to provide daft, humorous, cheeky or obscure definitions for the word nithering. Have fun!

The winner will be announced next weekend. 

8 Sep 2019      

MoodyMoody
United States

It�s the last half of the expression "withering-nithering," used to describe any houseplants unlucky enough to end up in my possession. The withering is the drying caused by forgetting to water the plant, so the nithering is the dying as a result.

Image result for dying houseplant 

8 Sep 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s a form of nagging, usually from parents to children. It is telling kids they can�t go places. �No, don�t go there!� �No, you can�t go out!� �No, not there!� and this has become contracted to nithering. Frustrated teenagers are often heard complaining about their nithering parents. 

9 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

At some point or other most parents are faced with fighting lice in their children�s hair because they picked it up at school or public transportation (my daughter got them from the water taxis in Venice once many years ago).

The process includes shampooing their hair with delouser; extensive preventative delousing of toys, stuffed animals, and bedding; and combing the nits (louse eggs) out of their hair with a fine-toothed nit comb.

I think we all know that a herring is a fish, but did you know that a red herring is something that is intended to mislead or distract (e.g. a false clue in a criminal investigation)?

So a nit herring (aka nithering, or red nithering) is a distractor that nits leave behind to make you think that you have successfully beat a louse infestation (only to be surprised some days later and having to start all over from the beginning again).

I got the creepy-crawlies writing this post, I guess Halloween is starting early this year :)

Cheers,
Douglas

9 Sep 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

A nithering is a mythical beast that cannot make up its mind. It is always "dithering and nithering." Usually, people manage to escape its clutches because it cannot decide whether to eat them or not.

9 Sep 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Nithering is an alternate spelling of neithering, the act of acting on neither choice with which one is presented. Nithering is common in rebellious teens and tantrum throwing toddlers.

11 Sep 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Nithering has another meaning in science, that of �nigh (near) the ring�. Our expedition�s current location is nithering of the volcano. The spacecraft is nithering of Saturn.

11 Sep 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Nithering is also a Halloween vocabulary. Trick-or-treaters who are too shy to ring the doorbell of a stranger�s house for a treat, but are also too timid to play a Halloween prank are nithering. Short for They neither ring...(nor trick).

11 Sep 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

The dreaded nithering is the ring of dirt that accumulates, like ring around the collar, on one�s undergarments in the nether regions. Not to worry, though. Nithering is easily banished with a mixture of two parts hydrogen peroxide and one part Dawn dish washing detergent.

11 Sep 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I almost forgot. nithering is a ring that is a reminder. It is the opposite of va wedding ring. When your divorce is finalized, you begin wearing the nithering to remind you to never endure such a relationship again. A nithering is a never ring.

13 Sep 2019     

FrauSue
France

The winner has to be redcamarocruiser for such an incredible range of daffynitions! My favourite is �neithering� meaning the act of acting on neither choice. As a teacher of teenagers and parent of toddlers, this seems like a word I need in my vocabulary. Over to you, redcamarocruiser!

16 Sep 2019