Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > my pupil    

my pupil

wizardsoulmile
Egypt

my pupil

Hello everyone, I hope you are fine.
I have a problem with one of my pupils and I need your suggestions to solve it. He forgets letters, words, replaces letters. when I ask to write ABCs, he writes till F then he counts from the beginning till K then he counts again from the beginning till he reaches R. Just R. Her mother told me many times, he memorizes all the letters and distinguishes sounds even he didn�t know how  the words � form. But he nowadays forgets. Her mother told me he just memorizes the words now how come he forgets. He was clever before. The boy is six years old and his IQ is good. I changed my  teaching method many times but in vain. How can I deal with him?

15 Sep 2019      

MoodyMoody
United States

Does he know the ABC song? That might help. Also, does he have these problems in Arabic as well as English? That could be a sign of dyslexia. How well does he know right from left? This sounds like some sort of learning disability.

15 Sep 2019     

maryse pey�
France

The hypothesis that MoodyMoody gives sounds plausible.

What I do in such a case is the use of BIG COLORED flashcards :

- the letters at the exact shape, rather thick. Make your pupil touch them and follow the edge at least 3 or 4 times. Then ask him to draw around the letter and associate the sound when he is touching the letter. You, then both of you and then him alone.

- then draw flashcards with specific sounds or syllabus (the most common at first).

- then put pictures and words you want him to learn.

- Make him put the sounds or syllabus in the right order to make the words you have just said then ask him to spell the same words with the colored letters.

- then use these words (for example articles in blue), adjectives in orange and so on as you will do for a jigsaw puzzle.

- I sometimes draw a train with wagons (with pictures on) to make the good order of the words in a sentence.

You can ask him to close his eyes when you are saying something - that way the brain focuses on the hearing.
You will repeat with the WELL separated words on flashcards. Very slowly at first,  then a little faster.
Make the spaces between the words narrower.

Ask your student to repeat at first with you, then after you. Insist on the sound, then on the sounds associated with the written part.

You will need to repeat again and again but it may work as it has worked several times for some of my students.

I hope it willl work.

15 Sep 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Well, I truly believe that with just 6 years old you cannot know what problem he has or if he actually has. Not everybody can remember or memorize the same way, and I am talking about myself... Since I can remember I had memorizing problems, nowadays also, but not for that reason I can�t do things and learn, but I have to be all the time reading the same stuff so I can retain something, otherwise I would never be able to talk about anything as I forget days, names and all details. However, it could be as MoodyMoody says, but that only time can tell. He is really young to just make a verdict on him. I suggest you try your best and remember he is only and ONLY 6 years old. As I said not everybody learns at the same speed. This is what I think, however.
Best of luck
Aisha ;) 

15 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

They way you describe it, it sounds like it cold be a learning disability (dyslexia came to mind too, but the description sounds like it could be something deeper). It may be a good idea if the parents have him tested.

On the other hand, he is six and may just be looking for attention-kids can be sneaky and more calculating than we give them credit for.

Douglas

16 Sep 2019     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I have the same opinion as Douglas. The sooner one knows if there is a neurological problem, the better to get help. Parents time often give  the excuse that the child is only 5 or six when other children could easily do the same task. If it is nothing, at least the parent can be sure.

16 Sep 2019