Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Daffynition contest 9/18/19    

Daffynition contest 9/18/19

redcamarocruiser
United States

Daffynition contest 9/18/19

Thank you FrauSue for choosing my daffynition.  I am honored.  

My selection for your consideration for creating daffynitions is punnet .  

I�m looking forward to your daffynitions. 

(For those new to the site, a daffynition is a made up nonsensical definition.  Members make up fanciful possible meanings for the selected word, but the true defifition is not allowed in this contest.  The submissions will be judged in a week�s time or when the post falls off the forum).

Here are some examples of daffynitions https://www.thoughtco.com/daffynition-word-play-1690369 . 

18 Sep 2019      

MoodyMoody
United States

Pun + sonnet  = punnet.
A punnet is a poem of 14 lines (usually iambic pentameter in English, although the preferred metric foot differs from language to language) that uses puns in its rhyme scheme. 

18 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

The Pun Net is something similar to the Dark Net, a place where evil people go to plan and do evil things. In the case of the Pun Net it revolves around sad, humiliating, irritating, groan-instilling puns.

The "God" of this Pun Net is of course Piers Anthony.

Here is a short list of some of his literary transgressions:

Night Mare (about a horse)
 Crewel Lies
  Heaven Scent
 Question Quest
 Faun and Games
 Up in a Heavel

PS: If you haven�t read any Xanth novels, they are quite fun (but full of groaners) .

19 Sep 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Punnet simply comes from �PU�ETAS!!! which means kind of "FUC:::" (beep!!)
It actually comes from the "Catal�n" (perdonadme catalanes por la burrada que voy a decir, jejeje!). This language as you all must know is Spanish but shorten, they just swallow some vowels and they say they speak another language different from Spanish. 
So, from the spanish word PU�ETAS they rather say it in their lazy language: PUNNET! 
Hope I don�t make enemies now, ups! 
edit: Douglas, is that black novel?? I would love to know! Cheers!

19 Sep 2019     

karagozian
France

Oh !!! Simply a sweet nice little joke. I love punnets.

19 Sep 2019     

Cariboo
France

The English translation for that sweet dessert "pet de nonne" (nun�s fart) I swear it exists ! A kind of donut made for carnival.

19 Sep 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Am I missing something??
Where is the post about "pet de nonne?" Btw, hello to all, Carole, Monique and the rest!
Monique I hope you are having a wonderful time there! 

19 Sep 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s a type of baguette, (French stick loaf) in the shape of a nose. It is derived from French and is pronounced pannay. Pain nez. 

@Cariboo LOL

19 Sep 2019     

karagozian
France

@Lynne I would rather go for something nasty, filthy or dirthy If it has to be French related. "Peu net"

20 Sep 2019