Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD Week 40 , 2019 --new word    

WOD Week 40 , 2019 --new word

douglas
United States

WOD Week 40 , 2019 --new word

Well bilious didn�t seem to spark much interest, so here is a new word instead:

catercorner

(I hope this one does better).

Cheers,
Douglas

1 Oct 2019      

karagozian
France

A restaurant indeed !

1 Oct 2019     

karagozian
France

A toilet for cats.

1 Oct 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Cater also spelled kater - a hangover borrowed from German.  A catercorner is a quiet place, usually in a bedroom, where one can go to recover from a hangover.

1 Oct 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Corn - a sometimes painful callous on the foot caused by friction or pressure Catercorner - a corn becomes so painful that one treads lightly like a cat, also a person who suffers from corns causing him to walk gingerly like a cat.

1 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Once more this word derives from the Spanglish "cate=corner".  
"Cate" is having in your marks less than a C, you have a "cate" at school. The one who has many cates will be able to work only making popcorns (hopefully in a cinema, and not making popcorns at home in the micro). This student will become a "catercorner" 

1 Oct 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

A catercorner is a small fast food business that can be located on street corners. It literally caters on the corner

1 Oct 2019     

maryse pey�
France

It is the corner where the partly legless Caterpillars are going to hide not to be seen.

1 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh dear oh, what a dismal word! A catecorner is a funerary statue; a very ornately decorated grave. My favourite is the catecorner of Napoleon Bonaparte - well, which other Napoloen could it be? Another good one is that one to Dante Alighieri; Dante Smith�s is OK but not really in the same class. Michelangelo Buonarotti�s catecorner is quite spectacular and I also quite like the catecorner of Oscar.  

Edit: Ah, it�s cateRcorner. Oh well...Sorry Douglas, for calling your WOD a dismal word. I�ll get back about catercorener tomorrow or the day after.  

1 Oct 2019     

FrauSue
France

A catercorner is a Napoleonic word, Lynne - it;s an oversized three-cornered hat, like a huge version of Napoleon�s famous headgear.

3 Oct 2019