Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Perfect tense    

Perfect tense

qismat
Pakistan

Perfect tense

Plz guide which is the correct sentence 1.When he reached home, mother had slept. 2.When he had reached home, mother had slept.

3 Oct 2019      

sinister44
Turkey

Of course, the 1st sentence is correct because the act of his reaching home was after the mother�s sleep. When you compare two past events/actions and want to show that one event/action is the earlier, you have to use "past perfect simple" structure.

3 Oct 2019     

douglas
United States

The first, but i would use "mother was sleeping"--the pp doesn�t seem to fit right in that clause.

4 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Douglas, it means something different. It means his mother had had her sleep. When he got home, she was awake, after having slept. 

4 Oct 2019     

yanogator
United States

You are correct, Lynne, but, like Douglas, I don�t think that is what gismat intended. We might be wrong about that, of course.

My guess, which is similar to Douglas�s, is that it should be "When he reached home, his mother had gone to sleep," which does use the past perfect. 

Bruce 

4 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Bruce , ah...  yes, I think that is what is intended. 

4 Oct 2019     

nawfel
Algeria

cunliffe What makes you say that she was awake, after having slept. ???Nothing in this context allows us for such a statement.
Warm regards

7 Oct 2019     

douglas
United States

I�m sorry Nawfel, but Lynne is right to have seen it that way:

Mother had slept (and was now awake, well-rested, and ready to start  the adventure ahead of her).

8 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks Douglas, yes that is right. Probably not what the poster intended, though, as you pointed out and we agreed. 

8 Oct 2019