Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ELT pedagogy    

ELT pedagogy

piranhac
Tunisia

ELT pedagogy

Hi guys
I have been teaching EFL for ten years   but I still find some points in ELT  unclear because our ispectors want us to teach according to what they trained us to do
Hoever, when reading ELT books i find that they are a bit narrow-minded and hostile to change
I want to post my questions here and get feedback (theory -anchored  feedback please)
my first question is : Do you consider a find the difference between two pictures task a communicative task? 

7 Oct 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I am not really into theory and stuff, so whether the exercise qualifies as a communicative task... Let�s see. First of all, it is a great task, because the language can be tailored, e.g there is/are... isn�t/aren�t... or really roughly tuned, e.g. one person has a nose slightly less hooked than the other person. Putting students into pairs and insisting they don�t point, but explain the differences, is a great language teaching opportunity, because you can go round, listen in and pick up points of language. Treating the exercise as a barrier game, that is, in pairs, each has one picture and can�t see the other�s, certainly involves communication, as they must ask each other questions, give each other clues, prompts and praise etc... Interesting question!

7 Oct 2019     

douglas
United States

If they have to communicate the differences that they found to another person, yes.

7 Oct 2019     

piranhac
Tunisia

thanks a lot Cunliffe and Douglas for you comments
you really cleared the point ( my inspector said that it is not a communicative task) 

7 Oct 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://www.tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63 lists spotting the differences as a communicative activity.

7 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well done, Mary. @piranhac, your inspector sounds like an ass.

7 Oct 2019     

FrauSue
France

I agree - it is a communicative task if you structure it in a way that requires the students to communicate. In most cases, it would be a pair work activity, where each partner doesn�t know what the other has. In this set-up it is effectively an information gap activity, so definitely communicative.

8 Oct 2019     

memarta
Portugal

According to theory, a communicative task is one such task that resembles real life situations in the sense that the student HAS A REASON TO SPEAK (other and more meaningful than merely "speaking for the teacher to listen and correct")

So, what defines a task as communicative is PURPOSE.

I think describing differences would be communicative under such definition.

Having said that, in EFL classes there are moments when "less communicative" practice makes sense, for other teaching aims, such as practising pronunciation - that is why a drill would also be adequate.

It all depends on what you - as a teacher - are aiming at.

Hope I was helpful 

8 Oct 2019     

piranhac
Tunisia

Thank you very much for your valuable comments
you are a wonderful community  and I feel proud and lucky to receive such enlightening comments
Also this opens my appetite for more questions  

9 Oct 2019